mpu6050 problem

You need to enter anything into the serial monitor and hit send. It doesn't matter what you type, I usually type "1". That should cause the program to start outputting values. The default output is for the teapot processing program to use (i've never used it so i can't vouch that it works, but I assume it does). It will look like gibberish and not mean anything to you. There are several #define commands near the top-middle of the code that if you uncomment will output things like Quaternion, Euler Angle, Yaw/Pitch/Roll, Real-World Acceleration and Readable Acceleration (gravity compensated) values in the serial monitor instead.

I've just seen that Jeff had comment the information to obtain the values in degrees and g. Tomorrow I'm testing. Thank you very, very much for all this information. :slight_smile:

No problem, I am new to all this too, and just got my first Arduino and MPU6050 sensor a few weeks ago, so this is all very fresh in my mind on exactly how to get it all working. :slight_smile: Glad I could help.

You're helping me a lot! ok, i changed my sketch in this:

#include "Wire.h"

// I2Cdev and MPU6050 must be installed as libraries, or else the .cpp/.h files
// for both classes must be in the include path of your project
#include "I2Cdev.h"

#include "MPU6050_6Axis_MotionApps20.h"
//#include "MPU6050.h" // not necessary if using MotionApps include file

// class default I2C address is 0x68
// specific I2C addresses may be passed as a parameter here
// AD0 low = 0x68 (default for SparkFun breakout and InvenSense evaluation board)
// AD0 high = 0x69
MPU6050 mpu;

/* =========================================================================
   NOTE: In addition to connection 3.3v, GND, SDA, and SCL, this sketch
   depends on the MPU-6050's INT pin being connected to the Arduino's
   external interrupt #0 pin. On the Arduino Uno and Mega 2560, this is
   digital I/O pin 2.
 * ========================================================================= */

/* =========================================================================
   NOTE: Arduino v1.0.1 with the Leonardo board generates a compile error
   when using Serial.write(buf, len). The Teapot output uses this method.
   The solution requires a modification to the Arduino USBAPI.h file, which
   is fortunately simple, but annoying. This will be fixed in the next IDE
   release. For more info, see these links:

http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,109987.0.html
   http://code.google.com/p/arduino/issues/detail?id=958
 * ========================================================================= */

// uncomment "OUTPUT_READABLE_QUATERNION" if you want to see the actual
// quaternion components in a [w, x, y, z] format (not best for parsing
// on a remote host such as Processing or something though)
//#define OUTPUT_READABLE_QUATERNION

// uncomment "OUTPUT_READABLE_EULER" if you want to see Euler angles
// (in degrees) calculated from the quaternions coming from the FIFO.
// Note that Euler angles suffer from gimbal lock (for more info, see
// http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimbal_lock)
//#define OUTPUT_READABLE_EULER

// uncomment "OUTPUT_READABLE_YAWPITCHROLL" if you want to see the yaw/
// pitch/roll angles (in degrees) calculated from the quaternions coming
// from the FIFO. Note this also requires gravity vector calculations.
// Also note that yaw/pitch/roll angles suffer from gimbal lock (for
// more info, see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimbal_lock)
#define OUTPUT_READABLE_YAWPITCHROLL

// uncomment "OUTPUT_READABLE_REALACCEL" if you want to see acceleration
// components with gravity removed. This acceleration reference frame is
// not compensated for orientation, so +X is always +X according to the
// sensor, just without the effects of gravity. If you want acceleration
// compensated for orientation, us OUTPUT_READABLE_WORLDACCEL instead.
#define OUTPUT_READABLE_REALACCEL

// uncomment "OUTPUT_READABLE_WORLDACCEL" if you want to see acceleration
// components with gravity removed and adjusted for the world frame of
// reference (yaw is relative to initial orientation, since no magnetometer
// is present in this case). Could be quite handy in some cases.
//#define OUTPUT_READABLE_WORLDACCEL

// uncomment "OUTPUT_TEAPOT" if you want output that matches the
// format used for the InvenSense teapot demo
//#define OUTPUT_TEAPOT

and now I'm reciving this:

Initializing I2C devices...
Testing device connections...
MPU6050 connection successful

Send any character to begin DMP programming and demo: 
Initializing DMP...
Enabling DMP...
Enabling interrupt detection (Arduino external interrupt 0)...
DMP ready! Waiting for first interrupt...
ypr	0.09	-2.43	8.77
areal	-111	379	2561
ypr	0.07	-2.45	8.82
areal	-144	464	3145
ypr	0.05	-2.46	8.86
areal	-163	524	3579
ypr	0.03	-2.48	8.91
areal	-174	562	3896

Is ypr about the gyroscope? Howerever the areal values are still strange...

Yaw/pitch/roll is presumably found by a fusion algorithm contained within the DMP, so it uses both the gyroscope and accelerometer to determine the yaw/pitch/roll. Remember, the gyroscope does not actually determine angular position, but it measures angular velocity. To determine angular position from angular velocity, one must integrate the values over time from the gyroscope to find position. This introduces error, because of noise and imperfection in the sensor. The accelerometer should always read 1G of force in the Z direction when the Z-axis is normal to the ground plane. With this information you can also use an accelerometer to determine angular position, but accelerometers are very noisy so their data alone is not great either. But the fused algorithm presumably is much better.

To get that fancy display to work, you need to have the "Processing" working on your computer, and then find some libraries for it.
I don't recall all the details now, but it was quite a hassle to get it to work.

oh, also, the accelerometer values, I forget what units they are in, but they are not in G by default. I don't recall what it was, but I had to convert it by dividing by 28xx(don't remember what "xx" values are). My conversion and code are at home, I will look for it later. If you don't need an EXACT value now, just let the sensor sit still and take an average value of the Z axis (make sure the sensor is as flat as possible). This value should be about equal to 1G of accleration, so use that number to divide all of your accelerometer values before printing them to the serial port and they will be in G's.

michinyon:
To get that fancy display to work, you need to have the "Processing" working on your computer, and then find some libraries for it.
I don't recall all the details now, but it was quite a hassle to get it to work.

You don't need processing to get the display in the video I posted. That is C# code I wrote and OpenTK rendering the cube based on the yaw/pitch/roll values output from the sensor. It did take a decent amount of work getting it working, only because I had never tried 3D rendering before so I had to learn about that and the different libraries out there and finally chose OpenTK (which is free).

I found the toxi libraries for the processing sketch. But I'm still not understanding how to convert the raw values to the real position of my board on the space and if it's possible. Can you explain this to me?

What exactly are you looking for? Accelerometers measure acceleration, and gyro's measure angular velocity. With the code that you have, you can get yaw/pitch/roll, and acceleration. If you are looking position as well as orientation, you will need another sketch, or to do your own math's on the data from the sensors. Position can be found by integrating velocity, which can be found by integrating acceleration. Ideally you will want to use a fused data algorithm for this and not the direct data from just the accelerometer. A complimentary or Kalman filter is probably your best best.

Thank you. for the reply. Yes, I don't need the angular velocity. Have you some code about fused data algorithm? On Google I didn't find anything about arduino...

Here is a thread in this forum about it:

http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,58048.0.html

Search FreeIMU on google and download the library. The fused algorithm there is completely open-source so you can try to decipher it yourself. It does not include code to calculate position though, so you will need to look elsewhere for position sensing.

jjspierx can you post the code of your cube? The processing sketch doesn't work... maybe with yours i'll be more lucky!

My code is not for Arduino. It is a C# project written in Visual Studio 2012 with OpenTK library used for openGL rendering in 3D. The C# program opens the COM port that arduino uses and reads the lines as they come in. If you have Visual Studio 2012 and have a basic understanding of OpenGL and 3D rendering, you might be able to get my C# project to work on your computer, otherwise you are probably better off trying to get the processing code to work.

mmmh... I think it's too difficult for me :grin:

I'm still having problems whit the processing sketch. I see only three green lines whit a red point in the middle of these... :roll_eyes: Can anyone help me?

I'm having problems getting toxi.geom to be 'seen' in my processing sketch. Downloaded from github and "I've stuck it all over the place" but still tells me its missing. I'm not really familiar with Processing so it could be a basic error but...

Any (polite) suggestions welcome

I'm interested too

Hello guys! Does any one of you, especially jjspierx, know how to modify the MPU6050_DMP6 code to work without having to input a character to start the DMP? I need this code without the character input and I am kind of new to Arduino.

Hi there, I am using MPU6050 in a self balancing robot project. But I am getting a lot of fluctuations in the reading of angle obtained by using x axis gyro and y,z axis accelerometer. When the body is suddenly tilted on either sides, the sensor gives the opposite values i.e if body is suddenly leaned forward in +ve direction of angle change it gives -ve values so the pwm reverses its direction and vice versa. How can this problem be solved. I am using just one axis to control so only x axis gyro and y and z axis accelerometer.

double accXangle=(atan2(AcY,AcZ)+PI)RAD_TO_DEG;
// Convert gyro raw vlues to degrees!
double gyroXrate=(double)GyX/131.0;
// Complementary Filter!
double compAngleX = (0.97 * (compAngleX + (gyroXrate * dt))) + (0.03 * accXangle);
//Serial.println("AcX = ");
float a=31.142
(compAngleX-5.35);
float ang=a-90;
return ang;

I am using this code to get the tilt angle.