Go Down

Topic: Using a stepper motor as a drill (Read 119 times) previous topic - next topic

Jamesmatheson

Hi I wanted to know if a stepper motor could be used as a dril. I need to find something with the strength of a 2.4 or 3.6 volt drill but that doesn't use so much power.  If anyone knows

I am just showing this

I don't know what it is in torque

And I don't know the battery power to make it operate
But at 100:1 the torque must be very powerful
If anyone knows the battery power it takes and if it can be used as a drill it would really be helping me

https://www.amazon.com/100-Planetary-Gearbox-Stepper-Torque/dp/B00QEWAL98/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_60_bs_t_1/144-8228450-7974719?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=S6MGC7QZ9FEGVD7WZ298

jremington

Stepper motors are very inefficient, and are not suitable for making a drill.

Paul_KD7HB

Did you read the comments?

Question:
Does the motor with planetary gear fit in a standard nema 17 mounting bracket? if not, what mounting bracket is needed?
Answer:
I do not know. I did not like motor.Gears would not turn after a week.
By Rainman on December 13, 2015

Paul

wvmarle

Hi I wanted to know if a stepper motor could be used as a dril. I need to find something with the strength of a 2.4 or 3.6 volt drill but that doesn't use so much power.  If anyone knows
Then a stepper should be your last option, as it uses more power.

The motors in standard drills are pretty efficient. If you have 50W power on the drill bit, you need at least 50W power on the input. That's basic physics, there's no way around it.

Or if what you're looking for is torque but less speed/power, then look for a geared down DC motor. That can produce the same torque but as you lower the rpm of the output you can lower the power input needed.

Oh, and do read up on the "xy problem". This appears to be one of those.
Quality of answers is related to the quality of questions. Good questions will get good answers. Useless answers are a sign of a poor question.

Robin2

Hi I wanted to know if a stepper motor could be used as a dril. I need to find something with the strength of a 2.4 or 3.6 volt drill but that doesn't use so much power.
If you find something that uses less power then (not surprisingly) it will be less powerful and probably unable to do the job.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

Southpark

Yep .... not a great choice of tool for the particular job. Sure, you can use a stepper as a drill .... but, as mentioned ..... power inefficient.

ChrisTenone

When I needed to ream out a bushing, I used a cheap gear-motor attached directly to a variable power supply. It was precise and slow. What use do you intend for this drill?
Wubba lubba dub dub!

Go Up