Go Down

Topic: Silent install works except for driver (Read 5276 times) previous topic - next topic

simplesi

Mar 02, 2015, 01:32 pm Last Edit: Mar 02, 2015, 07:07 pm by simplesi
I was trying to silently install the new 1.6 IDE and driver on a new computer as I want to roll it out to all the schools computers (Win7 mixture of 64 and 32 bit)

I found that running
arduino-1.6.0-windows.exe /S

allowed it to silently install except that it asked me if I wanted to trust the driver install part.

Is there a switch or alternative install method to allow even this bit to be silent?

Simon

federicofissore

Hi

we haven't tested the behaviour of /S flag. Can you please try installing the drivers alone using
dpinst-amd64.exe /lm /sw /sa /q
or
dpinst-x86.exe /lm /sw /sa /q
Does it run without showing you permission confirmations or stuff like that?
If no dialogs appear, we may add /q flag by default so that installing with /S will work as you expected

OpOrtsac

I'm having this same problem. I ran the driver exe's alone using the commands you gave above, but it doesn't appear to have installed the drivers.

When I run the full exe again I still get the dialog box asking for permission to install the same drivers. Is there something I can extract from the exe and run to just install Arduino without the drivers? That way, we could figure out the driver issue separately or just install them manually and still deploy Arduino silently.

federicofissore

You can download the .zip version for windows. It doesn't have an installer, you just to unpack it and run the IDE

simplesi

we haven't tested the behaviour of /S flag. Can you please try installing the drivers alone using
dpinst-amd64.exe /lm /sw /sa /q
I copied all files to c:\apps\Arduino and ran the above from the drivers folder

Nothing much seemed to happen - no msgs anyway

I left it alone for 2 mins and then plugged in my Uno - the installing device driver dialog came up and says unidentified device and is now trying to find a driver using Windows Update :(

I have now clicked on skip obtaining drivers from Windows update - its still sitting there twiddling it thumbs.

This is on Win7 Pro machine with user with full admin persmissions :(

It has now (after about 8mins) failed to find a driver

Simon

simplesi

Update

On same machine I then ran the main installer with /S

Got the "Do you trust Arduino LLC" dialog - said yes - waited a bit and then plugged in my Uno

Unfortunalte - its gone off serching Windows update again :(

I've got another 20 computers in this school - so I'll try again next week but if there are other suggestions?

Simon

simplesi

Update 2 - after I clicked to cancel the windows update search - the driver eventually installed #Phew
So at least I didn't bork anything
Simon

Foobartender

Sorry for reviving this old thread. I stumbled upon it and thought I'd share how I do it.

1. Install manually on some computer. When the trust dialog appears check "always trust".
2. Start the Windows certificates manager (Start -> Run... -> certlm.msc). Find the Arduino certificate under "Trusted Publishers". Export it.
3. Add the command
certutil -addstore TrustedPublisher "<full path to exported certificate file>"
to your deployment before running the installer. It should now be able to silently install the drivers.

OpOrtsac

Sorry for reviving this old thread. I stumbled upon it and thought I'd share how I do it.

1. Install manually on some computer. When the trust dialog appears check "always trust".
2. Start the Windows certificates manager (Start -> Run... -> certlm.msc). Find the Arduino certificate under "Trusted Publishers". Export it.
3. Add the command
to your deployment before running the installer. It should now be able to silently install the drivers.
Thank you! This was exactly what I needed to do. I exported both 'Arduino LLC' and 'Arduino srl' to a .sst file. I was using SCCM, so I just made an application with two deployment methods. One for the exe installer, and one for that certificate importing command. Made the certificate one a dependency for the exe installer. Installs without a problem now!

Still, they really should have implemented proper silence in the base installer. Hopefully in a future update!

tonyl

3. Add the command
Thank you!  This also works for 1.8.3 on Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB.

svradjae

3. Add the command
Hi Foobartender,

I tried following your procedure to get my driver installation done. But, unfortunately, it doesn't work.
I am working on a project and I don't have admin rights.
Here's the procedure I followed:
1. I installed Arduino ZIP format (without steup)
2. I retrieved "Arduino LLC" from arduino.cat file (folder "drivers".
3. Then, I installed it under "Trusted Publishers" then exported it to the folder in which I have only "arduino.inf", "arduino.cat" files.
4. Finally, I entered certutil -addstore TrustedPublisher "<full path to the exported certificated file". There, I got an error informing me that I need elevation as "certutil" is for admins.

Moreover, I noticed that the certificate was expired on 18/01/2017 though I've installed the newest arduino software.

Can you please help me to install the drivers? Thanks a lot!

Go Up