Go Down

Topic: Is my Uno fried? (Read 132 times) previous topic - next topic

Profwombat

I bought a Genuino Uno alongside an LED strip a while ago, and never got them to work. It was never totally clear which side was the problem, but I decided it was probably the LEDs.

I've recently tried to get the Uno to work with a new kit, including some individual LEDs - the LEDs work fine without the Uno. However, whenever I try to upload code to the Uno (with or without other stuff plugged into it, any code I try) I get the error:

Code: [Select]

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=(this bit varies)

(I get this 10 times with ascending numbers then it fails)

I've tried reinstalling drivers, updating the IDE, using a different computer and it all gives the same error.

I assume therefore that the problem is with the Uno?
Some forums suggested that the bootloader may be missing if the L LED doesn't flash upon powering on or pressing the reset button - it doesn't seem to for me. I think it used to, and I certainly used to be able to upload sketches without a problem.

Is the problem a 'missing bootloader'? If so can I fix that, and how? Otherwise, is there anything else I can try, or a way to find out if it is definitely fried?

hammy

Oct 16, 2017, 09:42 pm Last Edit: Oct 16, 2017, 09:45 pm by hammy
Easiest route for re  loading the bootloader is to Google it - it can be done with another Arduino Oran ICSP programmer.

Sparkfun has a good tutorial here :

https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/installing-an-arduino-bootloader

Juraj

did you try other USB cable?

Profwombat

did you try other USB cable?
I have now, same result.

Easiest route for re  loading the bootloader is to Google it - it can be done with another Arduino Oran ICSP programmer.

Sparkfun has a good tutorial here :

https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/installing-an-arduino-bootloader

Thanks for the advice. I've bought a new Uno now, but may attempt to reload the bootloader on the old one at some point.

Go Up