Trouble running with MS Windows 98

Hi. I'm a newbie, trying to run Arduino ver 0010 Alpha and my new Decimilla board with MS Windows 98 Second Edition. When I start the software, I get the message:

avr-g++: _spawnv: No such file or directory

When I try to download the blink example, I get the messages:

avr-g++: _spawnv: No such file or directory
avr-gcc: _spawnv: No such file or directory

Couldn't determine program size: C:\xxx\arduino\arduino-0010\hardware/tools/avr/bin/avr-size: 'C:\xxx\arduino\arduino-0010\examples\Digital\Blink\applet\Blink.hex': No such file

avrdude: can't open input file C:\xxx\arduino\arduino-0010\examples\Digital\Blink\applet\Blink.hex: No such file or directory
avrdude: write to file 'C:\xxx\arduino\arduino-0010\examples\Digital\Blink\applet\Blink.hex' failed

I think Cygwin still supports win98. I've checked that Arduino Cygwin DLL is in the only one on the system.

(The rx/tx on the board flicker - I think the communication is OK.)

Any ideas? Thanks.

(And is there any way to get all the source (zip or tar file) without getting an snvc client?)

Some Googling for the error message (w/ avr-g++ replaced by the more common avr-gcc), reveals that this is probably a bug in Windows 98's handling of the executable name when spawning processes: http://www.avrfreaks.net/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=325690#325690. There are patched versions of avr-gcc available, but I didn't see any for avr-g++ (which Arduino uses, but is not otherwise very popular). There's a patch for the gcc source at: http://www.avrfreaks.net/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=320522#320522, but you'd need to recompile avr-g++, which I've never done, and I don't think is that easy. Honestly, your best bet might be upgrading to a newer version of Windows.

And yea, to get the source to Arduino, you need to use subversion. What do you need it for? If it's a common request, I could package it up, but I'd like to understand what parts people need so I don't have to include all the various binary versions of the avr tools.

Thanks for the response. I didn't think to look for gcc. Maybe I'll try to patch it ... but maybe it would be easier to use another computer. I'm using win98 because the machine is ancient. It's still good for some things, and might have made a good development machine for simple Arduino stuff.

I asked about the source because my next step would have been to search through it for calls to spawnv, and see if I could patch it or work around it somehow. I understand your dilemma about what files to include. Maybe it would be enough to include only the Arduino-unique code, if there's sufficient demand. The user could always get the tools on his own.

Thanks for the response. I didn't consider that the problem might be in spawnv - I figured the problem was something to do with a missing file. Maybe I'll try to patch it ... but maybe it would be easier to use another computer. I'm using win98 because the machine is ancient. It's still good for some things, and might have made a good development machine for simple Arduino stuff.

I asked about the source because my next step would have been to search through it for calls to spawnv, and see if I could patch it or work around it somehow. I understand your dilemma about what files to include. Maybe it would be enough to include only the Arduino-unique code, if there's sufficient demand. The user could always get the tools on his own.

Thanks again.