Go Down

Topic: Change MIDIUSB Device Name? (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

normen

Hey,

I am using an Arduino Micro in combination with the MIDIUSB library and everything is working fine so far, I am reading a few encoders connected via a 8574 and output the values over USB as MIDI control data.

Now my question is how can I change the name of the MIDI device that appears in the computer? The USB MIDI device appears as "Arduino Micro" when connected to a MacOSX computer and I'd like to change that name. Since I'll be creating multiple devices it would help greatly to be able to discern the devices.

What I tried already is creating my own entry in the "boards.txt" file by copying over the existing entry for the micro and changing the "micro.build.usb_product" name but that didn't seem to be picked up. The MIDI device is still recognized as "Arduino Micro".

Anyone got a hint on how I can change that name?

Cheers,
Normen

Grumpy_Mike

Mar 15, 2016, 05:31 pm Last Edit: Mar 15, 2016, 05:31 pm by Grumpy_Mike
If you are using a Uno then you can't change the name. That is fixed deep inside the boot loader/ driver code.

normen

If you are using a Uno then you can't change the name. That is fixed deep inside the boot loader/ driver code.
Thanks for the reply.

As said I am using a Micro, afaik it uses its main chip for the USB part doesn't it? I started using the Micro because it (like the Leonardo) was the first to support MIDI/HID before Arduino 1.6

Grumpy_Mike

Sorry the Micro is just a poor name for a model of Arduino because any Arduino is a microcomputer which shortens to a micro.

Same problem though, unless you want to fish about in the depth of the HID library's code.

normen

Sorry the Micro is just a poor name for a model of Arduino because any Arduino is a microcomputer which shortens to a micro.

Same problem though, unless you want to fish about in the depth of the HID library's code.
Okay so I guess my best bet is to make a copy of the hardware folder in the local libraries and change the name in the core code.. Hmph, I hoped the whole "Pluggable USB" stuff would make that easier.

Thanks for the help!

CptCredible

normen

Did you get this to work ?
I didn't investigate much further yet but I guess its down to just doing a String search across all files in the hardware folder for "Arduino Micro" and replacing the string..

silveirago

I'm also looking for this answer. Any update?

CptCredible

I did a little more digging, you need to recompile the arduino bootloader hex file. The file that needs modifying before compiling is apparently:
/bootloaders/caterina/Descriptors.c
or whatever the equivelent file is in you version of the IDE. Not tried this yet but i plan to give it a go next week.

Go Up