How to know when Social Sampling becomes Problem Sampling

My name is Joe and I am a sampleholic... ]:slight_smile:

I'm not talking about Costco samples either. I mean the hard stuff. The hardware stuff. It started out with DIPs and PLCCs and then moved on to SOICs and TSSOPs. I finally had to admit a problem when I started sampling QFNs and BGAs because I DON'T EVEN KNOW HOW TO FREAKING MOUNT THESE THINGS.

I haven't actually used a quarter of the stuff I've received. Some of it is beyond my ability to use. But it's hard to pass up a 100msps ADC when it's offered and I know that in theory I could possibly use it someday, especially if I work a little harder on my CPLD design and teach myself some Eagle CAD so I could make a board that actually runs at these speeds and allows for surface mount components. It's not going on a breadboard anytime soon, that's for sure.

But maybe that's rationalization.

So I find myself struggling with addiction, talking to total strangers on internet bulletin boards for support. I fear I will have this addition for the rest of my life. If it's not one thing it's another. Just when I finally got myself free of compulsive collecting of Dr. Who serial novels now sampling has raised it's ugly head in my life.

Maybe you could try Star Wars novels next, see if you can get an idea where next movie is going.

Or work on getting a reflow oven going. I have this really old 4-element Sears toaster oven that is working well, manually controlling the temperature because I don't have time to put an oven controller together...

If you wait to get the sample, the next version will be much better. If you get the sample now, it's obsolete by the time it arrives.

As you request the sample, remind yourself that a much better one awaits.

This is more problematic when you are ordering a $500 video card which you are paying $500 for rather than a $50 sample that has a manufacturing cost basis for TI of $2.1732 and a postage of $8, neither of which you are actually paying for. :smiley:

Whatever you do, STAY AWAY FROM DUMPSTERS !

westfw:
Whatever you do, STAY AWAY FROM DUMPSTERS !

If you told me I would find 100msps ADCs in there I would happily dive. Otherwise, I'm with you on this.

If you told me I would find 100msps ADCs in there I would happily dive.

You obviously don't visit recycling centres, they have just about everything.
It is very easy to come away with more than you went in with.