Iphone hacking

Ok so I will state that I am a beginner. But what I was wondering is that an iphone/ipod/ipad has to have some kind of microcontroller in it to run the whole thing, so if it does then would it be possible to reprogram that. My goal would be to take off the ios and modify the software but I'd like the software to remain on the device just with me being able to tweak it.

But what I was wondering is that an iphone/ipod/ipad has to have some kind of microcontroller in it to run the whole thing,

Yes it does.

would it be possible to reprogram that

In theory yes.

My goal would be to take off the ios and modify the software but I'd like the software to remain on the device just with me being able to tweak it.

But as you said:-

so I will state that I am a beginner

So if you have to ask then you can't do it. It is also "illegal" well according to apple it is. You can jailbreak various apple products maybe you should google that term.
Anyway this has nothing to do with an Arduino.

their view of illegal is shady. But I figured it would need an arduino to reprogram. and just humor how could I go about doing this. I know what jailbreaking is and from what I've seen its not what im looking for

I know what jailbreaking is and from what I've seen its not what im looking for

It might not be, but it is the place to launch an attack on the OS.
The only alternative is to strip it down and reverse engineer it, but as far as I know no one has done that yet.

Grumpy_Mike:
The only alternative is to strip it down and reverse engineer it, but as far as I know no one has done that yet.

Yeah thats what I thought. A google search didn't bring up a single result of a iphone hacked in this way. But how would I be able to do this with jailbreaking. I mean I would have root access, so thats a start I guess.

The thing I understand about jailbreaking is that you replace the code with your own. So it is "simply" a matter of subistuting your own code.

I mean I would have root access, so thats a start I guess.

Yup they are like LInux Kernels when you have root access you can lots of stuff ,like manipulating the apps the lower level settings like the internet connection by accessing and editing the interfaces file under networks etc!
Its like the security shell for the linux system and one windows have to which is rather poor in earlier versions of windows like XP so messing with the core settings require getting deep.

I use Embedded Linux on a SBC . Its a Ubuntu!
I would suggest buying a BBBlack or a RaspI or anyother good for starting SBC rather than hacking an iPhone clearly this isn't a start plus it will have a lot of limitations like working with fucking closed iOS and getting enough GPIOs to do your shit!