How to pronounce "Arduino" ?

I'm a new "Arduinian" . I have some question need to know

1. How to pronounce the word "Arduino" ?
  2. What is "Arduino" meaning ?
  3. What does the name "Arduino" from ?

Thanks for all answer.

This is a good question. I've watched a few tutorials over at youtube, and it's interesting the number of ways people pronounce the name.

Here are some of the pronunciations that I've heard:-

• Ar mumble dino"
  • Ard ino
  • Or do ween O
  • Ar du ween Oh
  • Arrr dween o

Many people speak the name like they're attempting to fast-forward a bad track on a CD, or under their breath.

Personally, I call it a Microcontroller.

Perhaps this is something for the "forks" to think about, "Linux" for example - rolls of the multi-lingual tongue with a great deal of ease and clarity, so does 'google' for that matter ... 'Apple' - no problems there.

I think "Arrr dween o" by the simple fact that it's complex to pronounce, will have issues sticking as memorable brand identity, which is a shame since it's such as great product. But, once you learn to spell it correctly, assuming anyone publishing on the web has done the same, the search results aren't confused because it's a completely unique keyword.

Us "geeks" know what it is, but it's nice to be able to talk brands in traditional business circles without twisting people's tongues.

But, perhaps they prefer it if people have a hard time pronouncing it - whatever interpretation you've chosen, will eventually roll off you tongue more easily with time and practice.

Arduino is Italian, so you need to pronounce it like Tony Soprano. If you do some hand gesture, better

Add a bit of jazz and swing between the 'Ah' and the 'du' - then say the 'ino' as in "ee no"

Are we not all Italians at heart, when we are at the pizza parlor :-?

• Ar du ween Oh

Thats the one I thought of. :slight_smile:

I think it is the combination of the last 2: "Arr du ee no", with the accent in ee.

I usually give the "du ee" a bit of attitude, but to most english speaking westerners, the initial reaction ranges from "huh?" to "wazzat?" - so that's when I call it a micro controller, but then some people only "pretend" to know what they are, so occasionally it doesn't matter what you call it, which is a shame, because the verbose explanation often requires a demonstration, or example of every-day application, of sorts, and by the time you've done that, the original topic of conversation has drifted so far off course, you need to start all over again - which is precisely what happened to me today during a conversation with my attorney, which after all the effort, ended up costing "me" an extra half hour of "his" time.

So it would be nice if one day, the name actually meant something to people other than us geeks ;D

Perhaps this is something for the "forks" to think about, "Linux" for example - rolls of the multi-lingual tongue with a great deal of ease and clarity

Was that supposed to be sarcastic? :slight_smile: I have distinct recollections of "Lee-nux" vs "Lie-nux" discussions, culminating in an audio recording of Linus saying "My name is Linus Torvalds and I pronounce Linux, Linux". (Obviously the actual audio is a little more useful. :slight_smile: )

I have a related problem. Of course they've never heard of "Arduino." So then I say "Like a BASIC Stamp, right?" And they've never heard of those, either. So then what do I call it?

Seems to me this whole activity is where imbedded processing and physical computing meet. "Micro-controller" might be technically accurate but it doesn't seem to communicate anything to the casual enquirer.

So what DO I tell someone who looks at my prototype board and says "What is that?"

tell them it's like a programmable Ipod, but without music. :slight_smile:

D

How about "It's a small computer that lets me control and interact with a variety of electronic devices."

Perhaps this is something for the "forks" to think about, "Linux" for example - rolls of the multi-lingual tongue with a great deal of ease and clarity

Was that supposed to be sarcastic? :slight_smile: I have distinct recollections of "Lee-nux" vs "Lie-nux" discussions, culminating in an audio recording of Linus saying "My name is Linus Torvalds and I pronounce Linux, Linux". (Obviously the actual audio is a little more useful. :slight_smile: )

Haven't heard that one, I musta had my head stuck in a Unix "eeew nex" mainframe when those recordings were doing the rounds.

I have a related problem. Of course they've never heard of "Arduino." So then I say "Like a BASIC Stamp, right?" And they've never heard of those, either. So then what do I call it?

Seems to me this whole activity is where imbedded processing and physical computing meet. "Micro-controller" might be technically accurate but it doesn't seem to communicate anything to the casual enquirer.

So what DO I tell someone who looks at my prototype board and says "What is that?"

See "verbose"

tell them it's like a programmable Ipod, but without music. :slight_smile:

D

;D ;D ;D

but seriously, hands up those who've pulled one apart ?

And isn't "ipod" nice and 'not to be confused with anything else' ?

Maybe "imicro" "eye micro" would be a good name :slight_smile:

What about TOY for grown-ups? I tried to explain my wife for weeks what Arduino is, until I said it is a TOY. Now she understands not only what Arduino is, but also my behavior... She doesn't ask any more.

ARRRR, like a pirate// DWEE, just say "do we" fast // NO, as in no.

ARRR-DWEE-NO

Edit: does it all matter? If you ask people in different countries what sound a cow or horse makes, they will tell you something different! The dutch make a particularly weird sound for a cow.

What about TOY for grown-ups? I tried to explain my wife for weeks what Arduino is, until I said it is a TOY. Now she understands not only what Arduino is, but also my behavior... She doesn't ask any more.

;D

gosh, that's a scary thought - my "toys" got some very "grown up" responsibilities :-?

I haven't seen any mention of questions 2-3. I read somewhere, maybe here on arduino.cc or an EBay auction, that it was named after an italian king.

Waiting for my first demon love board to come. Ok, that is how I pronounce it, I didn't study Italian but it supposedly means 2009.

How did you find this? The topic is from 12.10.2007 at 05:43:48... ;D

Yeah I believe Arduino is an Italian surname, and Duemilanove means two-thousand nine.

I think Diecimila means ten thousand, but I don't know why they named it that :P.