Saving serial data stream on a chromebook.

Hi there,

I can not seem to find an app that will allow me to save the serial output from my arduino to a text file on my chromebook. There are plenty of apps to monitor the data but not save it. The students in my school use chromebooks and so I would love it if I can use the chromebooks to do all the interfacing with the arduinos. If anyone can point me in the right direction I would be very appreciative.

Thanks

TIm

Can you use a terminal emulator program like PuTTY or REALterm?

...R

Robin2:
Can you use a terminal emulator program like PuTTY or REALterm?

...R

Unfortunately no. I can not seem to find an app that allows anything more than viewing the serial data - ie a serial monitor.

A little browsing found a program called Termius, but I don't know if it can same input to a file. However it would be strange if it could not.

...R

Robin2:
A little browsing found a program called Termius, but I don't know if it can same input to a file. However it would be strange if it could not.

...R

Thanks, I just had a play with it. It does not seem to allow me to make a serial connection???? Not sure if I really know what I'm doing though. Do you know how I should use it to connect??

BowralHS:
Thanks, I just had a play with it. It does not seem to allow me to make a serial connection???? Not sure if I really know what I'm doing though. Do you know how I should use it to connect??

I use LInux. I don't have any experience with a Chromebook - I thought they have a lot in common with Linux.

...R

A google search on "serial connection to chromebook" seems to produce several interesting results.

Hi again,

I have no problems using a serial terminal to view the data coming across the serial connection, my issue is I don't know how to save or copy the data so I can use it in a spreadsheet.

Cheers

Find a terminal app for the Chromebook that lets you save the information in similar as Putty can in Windows.

BowralHS:
Hi again,

I have no problems using a serial terminal to view the data coming across the serial connection,

What program are you using to do that?

...R

Robin2:
What program are you using to do that?

...R

Serial Monitor app.

I have use a few different apps that allow you to serial monitor like the serial monitor in the ides but I can not work out how to save the data to a file for use in sheets or excel.

Cheers

BowralHS:
Serial Monitor app.

Do you mean the Arduino IDE Serial Monitor?

I have use a few different apps that allow you to serial monitor

If you post their names (and better still links to their web pages) we might be able to help.

...R

If he is on a Chromebook, he's probably using the Web Editor and not the IDE.

This has been an exercise in pulling teeth.

He doesn't seem to want help because he's been awfully secretive about whatever he is doing and using.
Wasted 3 days in this nonsensical drips and drabs of info.

ieee488:
If he is on a Chromebook, he's probably using the Web Editor and not the IDE.

This has been an exercise in pulling teeth.

He doesn't seem to want help because he's been awfully secretive about whatever he is doing and using.
Wasted 3 days in this nonsensical drips and drabs of info.

Apologies for the dribs and drabs, not intentional just very very new to all this. I've trying to be brief so as not to waste peoples time, seems I've been way too brief. Let me try one more time.

1. I've been using Arduino Create web editor to write and upload code to my arduino.
    I've also used Chromeduino which is another we editor.
    both have serial monitors associated with them.

2. I have tried a bunch of different web based and chrome app serial monitors such as "serial monitor" GitHub - garrows/browser-serialport: Robots in the browser. Just like node-serialport but for browser/chrome apps., "Beagle Term GitHub - beagleterm/beagle-term: Beagle Term for Serial Communication.

When I use the serial monitors I see a stream of data that is being sent via serial.write command. The data comes from sensors such as grove temperature sensors. The issue for me is that I want to be able to save the data to a text file so that my students can process it in a spreadsheet.

I hope that this extra information helps and does not cause anymore toothache.

Regards

Tim

My guess is that those terminal programs are designed to run in your browser and AFAIK for security reasons browsers generally don't have access to the PC's file system.

This webpage that I found explains how to install PuTTY on a Chromebook. I don't have a Chromebook so I have no idea whether it works or whether it does what you want on your Chromebook but the regular PuTTY does allow you to save the incoming data to a file.

...R

See if Save the console.log in Chrome to a file - Stack Overflow is helpful