Why discussing anything IDE related anyway?

I dont want to sound just as if i was only ranting, but honestly - why should we discuss anything IDE related here anyway. Everything one gets as an answer, for EVERY single question is: Go to the Processing team and ask for the feature there.

Sorry, but either the dev team will finally be responsible for the IDE as a whole or they better stop giving us the impression they'd actually do anything at all...

So, are you (Devs) willing to change something on the ide, maybe break the stupid syncronisation with Processing, or will you just let us talk and then do nothing?

I'm interested in discussion and addition of features that are relevant to the ways in which Arduino is different than Processing. There are lots of these: the fact that we're uploading to external hardware, that there are circuits involved, that there's a serial monitor, etc, etc.

In the particular details of text editing and window management (as shared by Processing), you're right that I'd rather defer to Processing. That still leaves lots of room for changes and improvements.

That still leaves lots of room for changes and improvements.

Maybe, but I also lost faith that this call for improvements in 1.0 will lead to anything concerning the IDE.
For me (and from what I read in other posts quite a few other people as well ) this is the most annoying part of the whole Arduino-Thingy.
The hardware, core/libraries, basic idea ,documentation , I have a lot of respect for this ...
... but when it comes to the IDE :cry:
Its not fun to work with, its buggy, its the part of the project in bad need of improvements.
And since I expected the answer...

In the particular details of text editing and window management (as shared by Processing), you're right that I'd rather defer to Processing.

...I didn't feel like it was worth posting anything into this part of the forum.

No matter how many shiny new chrome-fittings Arduino 1.0 will have under the hood, People will still point with fingers at us and say
Hey look, the Arduinos are still driving around with their rusty old Processing-GuiMobile ;D

Eberhard

A question that needs to be investigated : Is this a German thing?

I'm interested in discussion and addition of features that are relevant to the ways in which Arduino is different than Processing. There are lots of these: the fact that we're uploading to external hardware, that there are circuits involved, that there's a serial monitor, etc, etc.

But besides adding shiny (new?) features to the ide that gets buggy again on the next release, thanks to synchronisation, there is more to be done. There are users, including me, who would rather put their hands into a deep frier than using the ide for all to obvious bugs which never get in any way fixed. Take for example the bug that once you open a document you have two windows. Such things should be maintained by our dev team, no matter what.

In the particular details of text editing and window management (as shared by Processing), you're right that I'd rather defer to Processing.

Thats the whole point. As of nearing 1.0 you should consider giving up that mentality and finally take some responsibility. What do you think will we gain from processing anyway? As you said above all the vital parts are already your work anyway. So why not making the final cut and have our own IDE?

Processing is open source, and anyone is free to contribute code for it. And by anyone I mean people who don't like how it does things.

Andrew

Nachtwind: if you don't like the IDE, don't use it. Disagreeing with a feature doesn't make it a bug. Also, this is a forum for ideas and suggestions, not bitching - please participate in that spirit or not at all.

To everyone: as I said, I'm interested in making changes and improvements to the IDE, I'd just prefer to coordinate these with Processing, which I think does a good job with both design and implementation. Suggestions welcome.

Nachtwind: if you don't like the IDE, don't use it. Disagreeing with a feature doesn't make it a bug. Also, this is a forum for ideas and suggestions, not bitching - please participate in that spirit or not at all.

As i said in my first post - this is not about bitching it is more about asking you if you really want what you are about to start here. Dont present the users with options they dont actually have. In our so called democracies this is the way politicians go, we dont need that here.
I will leave this topic for now and try to be constructive, but please - consider what i have written here. Asking people for their opinion is not the key here, implementing features is...

To everyone: as I said, I'm interested in making changes and improvements to the IDE, I'd just prefer to coordinate these with Processing, which I think does a good job with both design and implementation. Suggestions welcome.

Processing did an excellent job, but as you said, key elements were already changed, so why not minor stuff?

But as i said, i will leave this now...