Arduino Duemilanove

Hello People
I recently brought Arduino Duemilanove when i connected it to my windows 7 laptop , the system crashed and it behaves as if the Duemilanove was an attacking object, it didn't accept it .
now am afraid to connect it again after i fixed the PC.

I was very excited to use it, whats the problem and what shall I do ? :-/

Paranoid PC. I very much doubt an Arduino would pose any threat. It barely has the power......

i know its Innocent but how do i convince my PC that it is ?

We're going to need some clues. What makes you think the PC thinks the Arduino a threat ?

Was it before or after it said “Klaatu barada nikto”?

the system crashed and it behaves as if the Duemilanove was an attacking object, it didn't accept it .

You'll need to give a more detailed description on what is going on, if you want a serious answer.

ok right after i connected the board the computer turned off and every time i turned it on i got a blue screen with a Physical memory dump error, i could reach my files but it kept restarting, So please any suggestion now i want to connect it to another lenovo laptop with vista operating system and not sure of doing it

Sounds like a seriously sick PC to me. As far as the PC is concerned the arduino appears as a serial over USB connection. If just plugging that in causes it to blue screen, the problem is your PC. It shouldn't cause a problem on a PC that works properly. It certainly isn't a threat.

If you are really worried, you could remove the 328/168 chip from the Duemilanove and then try it, it has no capabilities beyond being a serial interface like that. If it still blue screens, which is likely, the problem is definitely the PC.

Thank you all

The other thing is you could have a short circuit on the arduino and the computer is shutting down because of it. Most computers have some sort of protection on the USB port but you could be taking the main power supply out with your board or faulty lead.

i connected the board the computer turned off and every time i turned it on i got a blue screen with a Physical memory dump error

This sounds more like a physical problem on the board, as mike suggestions. Since the computer is turning off the blue screen on power-up could just be a result of the hard shutdown.

It may be that your USB port's short circuit protection is either not work or non-existant.

Its been so long but i wanted to tell anyone who had this problem , that I connected the arduino to my Vista and it's been working very well.