Will the Due be a dud?

Graynomad:

i see the topic got derailed

Well you never know, maybe the Due design will include some valves :slight_smile:

IOREF. A Due board will have 3.3vdc on that same pin.

Good point, I guess that answers that question. Pity about the 300+ existing shields but it would be hard to accommodate them and keep the price down I suppose.

Rob

I agree it will (is) a pity, mostly because voltage conversion could be performed on the board so that the shield connector pins stay 5vdc compatible, if it was made a design decision.

However if indeed the Due ends up not being 5vdc shield compatible, that will only make a opportunity for some industrious person to supply the world (they will beat a path to his/her door) with a shield adapter board, I would call it the shield Rosetta board. The SRB would just have I/O voltage chips and otherwise just transfer/translate all Due signals so that existing shields will work with the Due, at least electrically. I would well it for around $12 and never have to work again. Oh wait, I'm already happily retired, I guess someone else needs to run with this ball. I release all rights to this specific copyrighted idea.