PLEASE HELP! URGENT DEADLINE!

Hey guys, I am a total beginner with arduino, I just knew about it 2 days ago but it can completely help me on a project that I have been developing. I would fully appreciate a step by step guide on how I can get this project done. What I want to do in this project is:

• Connect the lcd screen that I have purchased (comes with 4 buttons) to the arduino
  • I then want to connect the 2 to my PC via the arduino and using the coding software programe arduino so that it does the following thing EVERY TIME it is turned on;
    i. a load up screen that says "123abc" for 30 seconds
    ii. after the 30 seconds it changes to "welcome" for another 15 seconds.
  • After the above is done I then want the lcd to display the data that I would be storing for e.g. I put in the following data "123456789" and on my lcd screen the same numbers appear "123456789"
  • The lcd display that I have purchased comes with 4 buttons, I only need one of them. When this button is clicked once I want it to delete the data "123456789" permanently and move on to the next data "ABCDEFGHI" and so on and so on.
  • I would also like to add data whenever I connect it to my pc, I would also like a password on this so that if anyone else tries to access the codes/data with the device there is a security feature.
  • I have also bought a usb converter for my phone so I would like the lcd screen to turn on and work functionally when i connect it to my phone as a source of power.

The deadline for this project is the 4th of October 2013. I would very much appreciate a reply with a step by step guide on what I must do and also the codes that I could just COPY and PASTE in to the programming software.

Thank you very much for your time!

If your LCD came with a working library, then you can do this easily. If it did not come with a library, then you need to find one that is compatible. The library will/should have examples that show how to use the buttons and display data on the LCD.

The security feature will require a little more thought, but there should be plenty examples on the forum.

If you can post a link to your LCD then we can assist you better.

Here is the LCD screen. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00760RLRM/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ok, I guessed correctly then, here you go, if you need the library. There is a downloadable library link towards the bottom.(It's after the picture with the buttons)

I already downloaded it myself just to check it out, and there seems to be everything you need, except the password feature, you can either make your own, or download the password library from the Arduino playground, HERE

Would it be possible for you to write me a step by step guide straight from once the arduino and lcd screen come to my door. And also would it be possible for the lcd to turn on even if i connect it to my phone?

A step by step guide for what, displaying data on the LCD screen, how to show what button was pressed? All that is given to you in the examples that came with the library, literally. All you need to do is put the examples together and if you get stuck, we'll tell you what the problem is.

And also would it be possible for the lcd to turn on even if i connect it to my phone?

I don't know what phone you have, so I don't know what it can supply. It might not be able to power the Arduino at all.

Ok when the arduino and LCD come through the post i'll give it a try if not I may need some more help. Also my phone is the samsung google nexus.

Ok, we'll be here. Still your phone might not be able to power the Arduino, so you might want to think of other alternatives, like a 7.2V battery pack.

OK, I've watched a few tutorials... Is there anyway to use the 7.2v charger but the only way the LCD/arduino will function is if its connect to a device for e.g. phone, ipod, ipad etc.

Is this a school project?
Are the specs you gave, the ones for the school project?

Step 1: Change your headline to something relevant. The urgency is your problem, not ours. Nothing in your headline has anything to d with your questions or helps direct the right people who can help to your thread.

soso91:
it can completely help me on a project that I have been developing

So you've gotten how far then? Explain where your current project is, so we can understand how to explain replacing existing parts with an Arduino will work.

soso91:
I would fully appreciate a step by step guide on how I can get this project done.

You'll find the bits and pieces. Like: connecting a LCD to the Arduino. Communicating over Serial. Handling strings/character arrays, etc. Don't count on finding the ridiculous set of requirements you have already done.

soso91:
that it does the following thing EVERY TIME it is turned on;

What is "it"? The Arduino? The LCD? Your PC? Your Cat?

soso91:
i...a load up screen

That's a pretty complicated set of requirements. Again, what was your current means to achieve this project before you decided to switch to the Arduino? I mean, clearly you wouldn't be waiting until the last 2 days you have to start, right?

soso91:
also the codes that I could just COPY and PASTE in to the programming software.

You can pretty much count on that NOT happening. You might need to consider Plan B. No wait, sorry. Plan C. You already said that this was your alternate plan.

Individually, all the things you're asking them to do seem feasible. However, for a total beginner to try to do all that in two days does not seem realistic to me.

Can you come up with a more realistic goal by excluding some of the functionality? I suggest you break the project down into a sequence of steps that you can complete individually, with the goal that if you run out of time then what you've accomplished so far gives you a partial solution. Can you prioritise the requirements?

For example, displaying a string seems fundamental so I suggest you just run the examples that come with your display as they are and confirm that you can connect the Arduino to a USB power supply and display a hard-coded string on the display.

Then confirm that you can detect button presses using code from the Arduino IDE examples. Then add these together so that a button press causes the hard-coded string to be updated with another hard-coded string.

Then look at the serial input examples and confirm that you can read a line of text entered at the Arduino serial monitor. Then change your sketch so that when you press the button it uses this entered text instead of hard-coded text.

If I understood you correctly you're planning to use the phone just as a power source. I wouldn't assume that your phone's USB converter will provide enough power to run the Arduino and display, but once you've got the Arduino displaying anything on the screen you could connect it to the phone's USB adapter and see if it still works.

I suggest that adding the password feature should be your last priority since this will be relatively complicated (compared to the other stuff) and seems to me that the remainder of the project still looks useful to demonstrate the concept.

I've no doubt that with perseverance you will get that all working, I'm much less sure about the two days. If this is not something you're proposing to pass off as your own work for academic credit, and if you're willing to pay somebody to develop the software for you, then you could ask for help on the Gigs and Collaborations section of the forum. I think it would be realistic for an experienced developer with similar hardware available to do everything you're asking for in a couple of days.

Its not a school project. Also the reason why i had this delayed was because of personal issues. The deadline is also a personal deadline that I can work with, I wouldn't mind an extra 1 or 2 day extension. Also the following is a sequence of my project broken down:

• when the arduino is connected to a power supply there will be a timed display of data "123abc" that cannot be interrupted. following with a second timed display "welcome". This can not be changed.

• a button when clicked will delete and display the next string of data. for e.g. the first input "123456789" is currently displayed but if the button is pressed the current display is permanently deleted and the next string of data that i input as the second set of data will then be displayed "abcdefghi". A button that deletes the currently displayed data and moves on to the next one.

• I would like to add the sets of data that will be displayed, regularly deleting the old bits and replacing with new bits from my computer if it hasnt already been deleted with my button.

• Password is optional but would be great if it can be done. Basically it stops anyone that connects the arduino to their computer from adding any new sets of data.

I also dont want the seconds showing during the countdown

Where are you wanting the data displayed, on LCD, on the PC, or where?
What arduino are you using? What sketch have do you have so far (upload it inside code tags).

I would like the data to be displayed on the lcd. Also I have recently discovered Arduino and therefore had decided to build this project. I have ordered my arduino and is in the post so I dont have nothing done apart from purchasing the hardware. Is there any sketches/libraries that I can use to complete this project. Or would someone be able to make and send it to me?

Ok I just got my arduino and my sainsmart LCD with keypad shield. My phone can power the arduino and the password feature is not necessary anymore. Is it possible for someone to make me a sketch where once it is connected to my phone a timed message "123abc" for 30 seconds will appear and then another timed message "welcome" for 10 seconds straight after will appear. Once both timed messages have been shown the data will then be shown "123456789" and when the 'select' button on the keypad shield is clicked the data "123456789" is deleted and the next set of data "abcdefghi" is displayed.

Glad you received your arduino.
If you go to the gigs section and offer money, you may be able to find someone to do your programming for you. You have still not explained what/why you want this, and why the urgent deadline?

How are payments made for the gigs and collaborations? Its for a part of my project that I am making, hopefully if successful I would be able to start the business that I had hoped for. After discovering arduino I can now make huge savings and also be able to complete a huge part of the project.

Ok I just got my arduino and my sainsmart LCD with keypad shield. My phone can power the arduino and the password feature is not necessary anymore. Is it possible for someone to make me a sketch where once it is connected to my phone an uninterrupted timed message "123abc" for 30 seconds will appear and then another uninterrupted timed message "welcome" for 10 seconds straight after will appear. Once both timed messages have been shown the data will then be shown "123456789" and when the 'select' button on the keypad shield is clicked the data "123456789" is deleted and the next set of data "abcdefghi" is displayed. I would also like the other buttons to be null.