Go Down

Topic: Introductory Tutorials --> Fundamental Concepts for Arduino projects (Read 399 times) previous topic - next topic

lastchancename

Having watched the types of topics posted -
Does anyone think the recently added section

Introductory Tutorials

- might be better called...

Fundamental Concepts for Arduino projects
              or
       Fundamental Project Concepts
              or
       Fundamental Concepts
Experienced responders have a nose for laziness, (they were beginners once)... expecting the poster to contribute to the learning experience.

Robin2

I thought it was a good idea to have a section for Introductory Tutorials but then nobody seemed prepared to control what goes into the section which rather defeated the purpose IMHO.

As things are now I think I would merge everything in the section into the Programming Section and just rely on Nick Gammon's Useful Links Thread to provide a signpost to sources of useful info.

Or maybe someone would be prepared to create and maintain a Post equivalent to Nick's with a list specifically aimed at newbies. To my mind the essential part is that it should normally be locked so that other people cannot add bits to it.

...R

Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

lastchancename

Notwithstanding I have a bit of skin in this section, the real fundamentals we're discussing here would soon get buried in the main forum sections (esp as they're read far more than 'touched'), and as stickies - they'd get skipped over by the people that really need to read them!

As you say - even here , I give some occasional irrelevant threads a bump out to the 'other' sections.

These aren't necessarily programming, project or other specific - but strategies and methods to get past the hurdles of learning - no small feat.

I would put my hand up to be an admin, but I don't take criticism well!

Another thought i had was that anyone could read the Introductory Tutorials, but in order to avoid thread clutter - perhaps new posts could be moderated to keep the body of each topic 'clean' (there I go...   One man's 'clean' is another man's 'cesspit' !)
Experienced responders have a nose for laziness, (they were beginners once)... expecting the poster to contribute to the learning experience.

Robin2

Another thought i had was that anyone could read the Introductory Tutorials, but in order to avoid thread clutter - perhaps new posts could be moderated to keep the body of each topic 'clean' (there I go...   One man's 'clean' is another man's 'cesspit' !)
I'm all in favour of that - and I believe i have said so more than once.

The simple way to "moderate" is to lock the Thread as has been done (at my request) for most of my tutorials - e.g. Serial Input Basics

But that does not prevent people starting other irrelevant or unhelpful Threads in a section - which is why I like the idea of a locked Thread that is a list of links that is maintained by one person.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

Grumpy_Mike

To my mind the essential part is that it should normally be locked so that other people cannot add bits to it.
I quite agree, maybe the thread could be automatically locked so that only the OP could post to it. Overridden of course by moderators.

Go Up