4 digit display flickering

Hi. I´ve been trying to make a timer. I´m using a 4 digit, 8 segment per digit, display. Handled with a 4051 multiplexer.
I was able to display the numbers individualy. However, when I try to display in every digit at once, it starts flickering and distortioning the numbers.
It´s made with the simple functions present in Arduino UNO r3. I´ve found that it can be fiked with bit angle modulation, but I wasn´t able to found anything within my level.
I´d really apreciate your help, and if any of you could post a link of a BAM tutorial (the simpler the better) it´d be awsome.

Here it is the function for the number 8, which is the one that flickers the most

void Timer::eight(){
  digitalWrite(A,HIGH);
  digitalWrite(B,LOW);
  digitalWrite(C,LOW);
  delay(2);
  digitalWrite(A,LOW);
  digitalWrite(B,HIGH);
  digitalWrite(C,LOW);
  delay(2);
  digitalWrite(A,HIGH);
  digitalWrite(B,HIGH);
  digitalWrite(C,LOW);
  delay(2);
  digitalWrite(A,LOW);
  digitalWrite(B,LOW);
  digitalWrite(C,HIGH);
  delay(2);
  digitalWrite(A,HIGH);
  digitalWrite(B,LOW);
  digitalWrite(C,HIGH);
  delay(2);
  digitalWrite(A,LOW);
  digitalWrite(B,HIGH);
  digitalWrite(C,HIGH);
  delay(2);
  digitalWrite(A,HIGH);
  digitalWrite(B,HIGH);
  digitalWrite(C,HIGH);
  delay(2);
    }

These are the functions for picking the digit to turn on and picking the number to display.

int Timer::pickDigit(int x){

digitalWrite(powa, LOW); // dig 1
  digitalWrite(powb, LOW); // dig 2
  digitalWrite( powc, LOW); // dig 3
  digitalWrite( powd, LOW); // dig 4

switch(x){
    case 1: digitalWrite(powa, HIGH); break;
    case 2: digitalWrite(powb, HIGH); break;
    case 3: digitalWrite(powc, HIGH); break;
    case 4: digitalWrite(powd, HIGH); break;
  }
}

int Timer::pickNumber(int x){
    switch(x){
     case 1: one(); break;
     case 2: two(); break;
     case 3: three(); break;
     case 4: four(); break;
     case 5: five(); break;
     case 6: six(); break;
     case 7: seven(); break;
     case 8: eight(); break;
     case 9: nine(); break;
     default: zero(); break;
   }
}

And this is the function for displaying 4 numbers at once

void display(int a,int b,int c,int d){
  timer.pickDigit(1);
  timer.pickNumber(a);

timer.pickDigit(2);
  timer.pickNumber(b);

timer.pickDigit(3);
  timer.pickNumber(c);

timer.pickDigit(4);
  timer.pickNumber(d);

}

I uploaded the datasheet of the multiplexer for you to check it out if necesary.

Thank you in advance.

397652_DS.pdf (348 KB)

Hi lolo,

Its very difficult to figure out how your design is intended to work without a full code listing and a schematic. But it seems to me you are trying to multiplex 4 digits one segment at a time, instead of the normal one digit at a time. If true, this will be very flickery!

Paul

If you have to use a 4051 you will see this phenomena.

A MAX7221 may be the way to go. (up to eight digits per chip). SPI (3 pins)

Thank you for your answers.
I will try to work on what you suggest. But,is it possible to make some code changes in order to improve the speed of the displaying of the numbers?
I had to add some delays on the number functions, and I think if I were able to remove them, it would work fine.

Eight would flicker the most because it has the most delays?

You can probably rework it to have a state machine, and eliminate delays.

Hi lolo, no I don't think improving the code will help very much. Removing the delays will reduce the flickering, but the display will be quite dim. The problem is that your "multiplexing ratio" is 1:32. You need to aim for 1:4 or 1:8 ideally.

Do you have 3 more Arduino outputs available? If so, you could use your 4051 to select one digit at a time and the Arduino pins to control the segments. You would also need 4 transistors, or a ULN2003/2803 to handle the larger currents on the common anodes/cathodes.

Paul

I tried lowering the delay, but the display was really dim as Paul said.
I attached a rough schematic of the circuit I intend to do and some information of the 4051 and the display. I haven´t made the code for the countdown yet, because I focused on this.
I hope this give you a better idea of what I try to do.

timer schematic.pdf (744 KB)

It still looks like you are set up to multiplex one segment at a time instead of one digit.

Where are your series resistors for the segments?

Would also suggest a 0.1uF cap accross the 4051's power pins.

Paul

I did not include them in the schematic. What would be the capacitor function?
And I tried to figure how to multiplex an entire digit, but I couldn´t.
Would it be to much if I ask for an example or a link? I do not know how to work with bytes, and I´ve seen some examples that the multiplexing is managed with bites instead of digitalWrite.

Hi lolo, I have been having a think...

I think you could do 1:8 multiplex with this chip with a bit of lateral thinking. Actuall not too different from your original question, but turned on its head a little.

The main problem is the max current of 25mA of the 4051 and the Arduino outputs. Do you have a uln2803? Or 8 transistors?

Remind me: is the led display common cathode or anode?

Oh, the cap is just for "decoupling". Its a good idea to have one for every chip in any of your designs, as a matter of habbit. They satisfy any short increases in current required by the chip instead of causing interference to other parts of the circuit via the power rails.

Paul