Need help with 32x16 monocolor LED

Hi guys,
I have a 16x32 monocolor(RED) LED display.
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/FREE-SHIPPING-P10-1R-Outdoor-LED-Display-Module-16-32pixels/200117_315670515.html

I tried to use this example from ladyada.net:
http://ladyada.net/products/rgbledmatrix/
But it is for rgb led matrix.
And another problem, my LED display's pins do not have any names printed on it. So I just connected them like on the example. I don't know if those are correct.

So I have two problems:

1. I don't know how to connect the LED display to my Arduino
  2. I don't have a proper library for it.

Ladyada's library just shows 6 lines on LED display.
I'm really frustrated. I have been searching for 4 hours now. And have nothing useful.

Thank you in advance..

So I have two problems

You have one problem: you bought something you don't know how to use.

Electronics stuff without a datasheet is no different from a paper weight.

dhenry:

So I have two problems

You have one problem: you bought something you don't know how to use.

Electronics stuff without a datasheet is no different from a paper weight.

Sorry but I have to learn-find how to do this all by myself.. I can only buy the stuff. The seller do not have any technical material for me to help.
They only have the screen, nothing more.. I asked them actually. They answered, "what is that?".. So I have to figure out all the things by myself..
This is why I'm asking for your help.

You could try to reverse-engineer it. There's a couple of IC's on the pcb. Start by making some pictures and writing down the typenumbers of the chips.
You could then see if these are commonly used parts and get their datasheets. It's quite a challenge sometimes though..

If you have lots of time, try to trace the pcb and get a schematic out of it.

Otherwise, write off your losses and start all over again.

ReSiStAnCe:
You could try to reverse-engineer it. There's a couple of IC's on the pcb. Start by making some pictures and writing down the typenumbers of the chips.
You could then see if these are commonly used parts and get their datasheets. It's quite a challenge sometimes though..

dhenry:

If you have lots of time, try to trace the pcb and get a schematic out of it.

Otherwise, write off your losses and start all over again.

I'll try your suggestions. But I do not think that I will have that much time to figure it out.

I can't do anything worthy with reverse-engineering..
I'm stuck.. :~

Unfortunately, sometimes good people end up in bad situations.

Learn your lesson and move on.

You could always buy the programmer for it - http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Hot-Selling-LED-Controller-Card-for-P10-P16-P20-Single-or-Double-Color-Module-MOQ-1PC/200117_510634368.html

This looks very similar to a display I have been playing with:

If it is similar, that one has pinout information in its library. Not sure if they are the same. But they look close, these displays are blocks of shift registers powering LED's with 1/4 scan.

Hopefully this can get you started on the right path?

Yes, actually it looks very similar. I'll try the guides.. So maybe I can fix something..
Thank you very much..

For others who might be looking for a solution;
milamber's solution worked like a charm. I connected my DMD easily..
If you have an unnamed display like me, you should check this library first..

Thanks DemonGibi. Glad to hear it worked for your panel. If anyone is interested, I have leveraged ElcoJacobs "ShiftMatrixPWM" and adapted it to work on these panels. It will only handle upto 2 panels (1024 leds max) at this time but it will allow you to have separate PWM on all LED's.

My efforts here on this forum:
http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,72474.0.html

And the DMDPWM library I created on the Freetronics forum:
http://forum.freetronics.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=278&start=20#p2133

The library at the FreeTronics site does support more panels but is just 1 bit (on/off, no PWM), if that is all your after it is quite good. Just plugs in and goes. Handles Scrolling text and basic drawing (Dots, Lines, Circles).

Hi, sorry to reactive this old post, but i think we just bought the same P10 modules. What we want to achieve is a 4x4 modules (overall 128x64 pixels) display and use it at sports events. the display should show two teamnames, game time, break time and scores. We would only need a frame rate of around 3-4fps.

we also bought the controller card, but it's just too slow...

can we control such a display with an arduino board?

Thank you in advance!

can we control such a display with an arduino board?

Is it exactly the same board as above or different? In most cases you will be able to run these types of boards with an arduino but how to do so depends on the type of matrix display(and their driver chips). As above there is code on the freetronics support site that does work and from my understanding is fast at updating the screen. You will still have to design all the code to display what you want and how to make changes. The code they supply is just a framework to drive the displays and an example of what could be done with it, they rest you have to make.

If you want to follow this further you may want to open your own thread to discuss this more fully. Possibly with specific technical information on the device and what you are looking to accomplish.