Low Cost Quad or Coaxial Copter for newb plz help!

Hi and thanks for taking a look. I'll try not to turn this into a novel.

As the title says I am wanting desperately to build my own drone (from SCRATCH! as few prefabbed parts as possible). I have an Arduino Mega, and two Unos. I also have a bluetooth chip that is compatible with arduino. I see so many online tutorials and DIY easy/quick/cheap/etc kits, but I have no support if I can't find all the components. I have very little programming experience (I have literally just made my LEDs blink or fade and I have made PIR sensor trigger LEDs) and I am aware that if I want to build this on my own, I'm going to be doing a lot of that.

I have NO idea where to start! :frowning: I know that I can use the arduinos and BT chip I have in the project somehow but I'm completely clueless about connecting the parts properly. I'm very frustrated and don't really know where to turn.

I've researched many different builds and this is what I think I want in my project:

GPS, Accelerometer, Magnetometer, Barometer (No Ardupilot, I want to make this as un-prefabbed as possible)

Coaxial or Quad (I'm thinking coaxial for my first since its slightly less materials, but if someone can provide good support/advice on a quad, I'd do it)

The motors and proper ESCs for them (also, what programming needs to be done if any)

I want to be able to control the copter via bluetooth with an iOS app I develop myself (can someone help me here?). something very simple that uses the phone's accelerometer. If I HAVE to break down and buy a 2.4ghz 6-7channel controller (comparable to spektrum or others) I will, but I Really would rather build my own crude-ish arduino capacitive sensing radio controller.

My skills lie in digital fabrication. I can design and create just about anything. I have never really designed or programmed any electronics and this is where my problems are. Endless gratitude to those who bother to point me in the right direction!

The least expensive solution is probably to buy an existing commercial helicopter or quadcopter and replace the receiver/driver electronics with an Arduino and peripherals. I'm not familiar with suitable helicopters but the Syma X5 quadcopter might be large enough to carry an Arduino and only costs about $25 without transmitter and camera.

hmm thanks. I actually have a quadcopter in pieces right now. It's a low end. I have no idea what brand it is or how to go about re-fitting it though..