Arduino Starter Kit Section Guidelines

Hi. We have just launched this awesome kit.
We found it was good to give this kit a landing page on the forum, and here we are :wink:

Post your questions, comments, advices, thoughts about the kit in this section.
it you have a problem on a peculiar project of the book open the thread with [project number / project name] true title

e.g. thread title: [3/Love-o-meter] LEDs don't turn on

Ciao!

For the uninitiated, like myself, what is an Arduino Starter Kit? I've looked on the Blog, the Hardware page and the Store, and I can't see it mentioned.

You can find more information at the page arduino.cc/starterkit.

The Arduino starter kit is on sell on RS components on line store and in few weeks will be available on the Arduino Store and on all the other distributors.

Are you planning to release included book separately?

The book is written on the components included in the box, they work together to make easier the path. So it won't be sell separately.

Well as a complete electronics newb who has just got one of these new starter kits (it's a short but complicated story involving trans-world chats on Skype, bespoke PC construction and a need to learn about this sort of thing), it's a very convincing piece of work. Any comments I make have to be put into the context of only having set up the boards, software and connection to date.

So far, the bads are trivial (1) The very small self tapping screws - I couldn't find any so I made do with some 10BA bolts - it would save a lot of time if they were supplied, (2) the English used isn't perfect but the text and instructions are so clearly written, it doesn't matter. For anybody who regularly uses forums to communicate with people for whom English may be their 2nd or 3rd language, it's barely noticable - I'm being really picky.

The good things are really obvious (1) It's really nice to get a pack of bits and pieces which are not supplied just in a plastic bag which is packed with other plastic bags in a bigger plastic bag, etc. The box it all comes in is well designed, tidy and compact. If my interest develops then I can take responsibilty for providing more permanent storage (plastic) as and when it's required. (2) As an original Arduino kit, the parts included constitute far better value than other starter kits on the market, (3) And you get a 170 page manual too. (4) And then there's the video tutorials on the RS site to help as well - and the presenter (Massimo Banzi) knows how to communicate.

So far so good and you might be getting another couple of orders from Australia pretty soon.

I got the book and kit today. This board was suggested a few months ago at a convention for a project. After seeing a good novice project I thought it would be fun to get started. I have installed phone office systems in the past so did not think much when it said some assembly required for the battery pack. What pole to I connect the red wire to?
I have search the net for instructions for the barrel jack, but at this time I have lost 6 hrs. I drove around to the different Radio Shacks but they where out of the barrel jack, I can order the $2.95 assembled jack online. As I have already purchased an uno, before finding the kit during my quest for a barrel jack, I kinda feel I have wasted enough time and money. "Down about $150 with duplicate purchases, after buying the kit." I can put in your entire electric system for your house, but this little bit of information seem to escape me, and has stopped me dead in my project.

The coding once I get the power connected looks easy, did some c+ and java afew years back.

SteveRH

thanks for the feedback :slight_smile:

Just a short note about the text. The text in the book was written 99% by an american living in new york and reviewed by an american living in california + an american living in italy :slight_smile:
It would be interesting to see which part didn't sound right to you. (You should read my book, written by an Italian that must sounds weird but I did fight to keep the british spelling :slight_smile:

thanks

m

He (skyholm1) is actually referring to the MakerShed Ultimate & Basic Starter kits he got from RadioShack. That explains the lack of instructions.

I'd love to purchase this kit; however at the moment it seems Rs components does not sell to North American countries. Does anyone know when the kit will be made available to the United States? Or if it is already available in the United States, where might I purchase/order one? Thanks.

Ciao Sazex.
The kit will be available on the Arduino store and on all the arduino's distributors from the 22nd of october :wink:

Hi,

I've been looking at the Arduino Due info, and as a completely inexperienced person coming into this for the first time I am not sure as to the significance of that release. When it is released will the kit be updated to include the Due instead of the Uno r3 board?

While I don't want to spend a ton getting into something I haven't done before, I do want to make sure that I have the best tools to learn with. If the Due is released and the kit doesn't replace the Uno board, should I still go for the Due and buy the starter kit as well? And would the lessons taught in the starter kit translate for use on the Due?

Thank you for any insight you can provide!

DC

DietCoke

starting from zero on the Due is not recommended.
Get the starter kit and learn on the Uno then when you're an expert consider the Due.

m

Thank you - that's exactly what I wanted to know. I appreciate you taking the time!

DC

lcdaria:
Ciao Sazex.
The kit will be available on the Arduino store and on all the arduino's distributors from the 22nd of october :wink:

Thank you very much for the information. XD

Will there be a version that comes with the Uno not assembled for a lesser price?

Will I be able to purchase this on October the 22nd in the USA? Who is the suggested retailer?

Cheers!

I've been very excited to see this become available. In terms of Euros it looks to be about $104. But when I go to purchase it and select shipping, the only option is UPS Express Saver. That on its own wouldn't be a big deal, but the quote for shipping is €61.57 - about $80.00! Unless Google's conversion rate is completely wrong, this is a crazy number.

There isn't a chance on earth that I'd pay that much for shipping for something this small. Do you have any US suppliers?

Thanks,
DC

Bumpasticka:
Will there be a version that comes with the Uno not assembled for a lesser price?

Bumpasticka, there won't be a version without Arduino.

mightcouldb1:
Will I be able to purchase this on October the 22nd in the USA? Who is the suggested retailer?

mightcouldb1, dietCoke, the starterkit will be available soon on Adafruit or Sparkfun :wink:

Will there be any retailers in Canada? I would love to pick one up from a local store when it's available.