Making arduino wireless!

I'm trying to get an arduino to interface with a serial computer application i wrote. The application reads information from any serial (COM) port on the computer, and works fine (It will already read things from my arduino while it's attached with a USB wire) However ineed it to be able to interface with the computer wirelessly over a range of +300 meters (So bluetooth is out of the question) how will I accomplish this? It can be one or two way, whichever, but ideally I need the cheapest, simplest solution. Can anyone help with what parts I will need, how to put them together and where i can but them? I'm using an arduino Nano (NOT pro-nano) Thanks!

Is this 300+ meter in line of sight or ini different rooms? What bandwith do you expect? tell us more what you want to accomplish.

Rob.

The range specified is line of sight, and i want a baud of 9600. The arduino is reporting voltage, and GPS Sentences from a 24 volt electric car

Thx! Now I know what kind I need (General)! Could you (or anyone else) Suggest a unit (Tx and Rx) that will get to 300+ Meters line of sight? And will I need another arduino to connect the Rx module to USB or is their another way? I'm assuming you just attach the DATA lines to the serial Tx and Rx ports on arduino?

I have been playing with a pair of X-Bees - 2 pairs, actually. Should work well for 300m

Cheers

Yes, you need an arduino set up as a receiver at the PC end.
Range is probably affected by the voltage you are able to supply at the transmitter end also, and whether you have antennas.

See page 3 here as an example of the transmit power difference with VCC change.

Seems like the sparkfun summary really disses the General Rx/Tx modules.
Wasn't very difficult at all to use VirtualWire library examples to send data from one place to another.

No, it won't meet the original poster's request for 300meter & 9,600 baud. But can still be useful.

"The JeeLink is a fully assembled and ready-to-use USB-type “stick” which plugs directly into a PC or USB hub. It contains Atmel's ATmega328p AVR microprocessor and HopeRF's RFM12B wireless radio module."

which is the basic functionlality of an Arduino set up as a receiver :-).

On the transmit side, the same device could be used, just feed it power and the data to be transmitted via one of the ports.
I poked around the jeelabs site, didn't see any info on range. Can one generalize and say that going from 434 MHz to 900 Mhz will also increase the transmit range also? (thought I saw something about that at spartkfun somewhere). I don't know if the jeelabs transmitter can be run at higher voltage independent of the uC circuits for range as well.