building and arduino breadboard and I need 3.3v

all,

I followed the directions at http://arduino.cc/en/Main/Standalone and i works great but I need 3.3v. What would I need to add to get a reliable 3.3V setup for two sensors bmp085 and hhsomethingorother...

thanks,

Bill

AN UNO board has a 3.3 V output, otherwise you need an 7803 (google 7803 3.3V)

yeah,

I'm moving from an UNO onto a breadboard. I already have a 5V voltage regulator on the breadboard, how would I add the 7803?
can I do this with a few capacitors and resistors off the 5V line?

Can be done from the 5V But I would connect the 7803 to your main powersupply (keep them separated)

When I used a 5v voltage regulator I used a 10 uF capacitor on the input middle pin and a 10 uF capacitor on the output side between power and ground would I need the same configuration for a 3.3V voltage regulator?

Take a look at the datasheet, page 11, 10uF on input & output.

But I would connect the 7803 to your main powersupply

Well I wouldn't, I would connect it to the 5v output of the regulator, that way it has less power to burn off. Also low voltage regulators like this often have a smaller input range.

So Mike,

Connect the 5V as the input to the 3.3V regulator, and use input (between 5V and the middle pin) and output (crossing 3.3V and ground) 100 uF capacitors?

I'm a newbie....

Bill

10uF capacitors are all that is needed, 100uF will do fine.
Make sure you get a low dropout voltage 3.3V regulator that can work from 5V. The one I linked for example needs a minimum of 4.75V.

I just used two resistors as a voltage divider. Are there drawbacks to this method instead of using a regulator?

rdg123:
I just used two resistors as a voltage divider. Are there drawbacks to this method instead of using a regulator?

Yes, the voltage output of the divider can only supply a very small amount of current depending on the size of the resistors and the actual voltage will change if the load changes it's current demand. Voltage dividers should only be used to change signal voltage levels, not to provide power to a component, that requires a constant voltage regulator.

Lefty

'Course, if you know how much current you will be drawing, you can set your voltage to be at 3.3V for that one specific current.
Is not a reliable way to go tho as Lefty said.

The general rule is to have the current down the potential divider to be ten time the current you want to draw.

Powering stuff with a potential divider is total and absolute rubbish.