pachube beta testers?sharing networked sensor data

dear all

we're about to launch a web-based "patch-bay" for sharing real time networked/remote sensor data and there are a few more places available for beta-testers.

briefly, pachube (www.pachube.com) will be a web service for connecting together and sharing real time sensor data from objects, devices and environments around the world; a kind of "youtube" for interactive systems where any project can "plug in" to any other project to create geographically scattered interactive environments.

i stress that the various bits are not quite ready yet so links to things may not work, but to give you a flavour, for Arduino users specifically these may be useful:

please see below if you are interested in being a beta-tester (you should be a reasonably proficient developer because not everything will be perfect yet!). beta-testing will start in March 2008.

please email beta [ at ] pachube [ dot ] com to let us know if you are interested.

thanks,

usman

=================

Pachube

Pachube (pronounced "patch bay") is a web service available at pachube.com that enables people to tag and share real time environmental data from objects, devices and spaces around the world.

The key aim is to facilitate interaction between remote environments, both physical and virtual. Apart from enabling direct connections between any two environments, it can also be used to facilitate many-to-many connections: just like a physical "patch bay" (or telephone switchboard) Pachube enables any participating project to "plug-in" to any other participating project in real time so that, for example, buildings, interactive installations or blogs can "talk" and "respond" to each other.

Pachube is a little like YouTube, except that, rather than sharing videos, Pachube enables people to monitor and share real time environmental data from sensors that are connected to the internet. Pachube acts between environments, able both to capture input data (from remote sensors) and serve output data (to remote actuators). Connections can be made between any two environments, facilitating even spontaneous or previously unplanned connections. Apart from being used in physical environments, it also enables people to embed this data in web-pages, in effect to "blog" sensor data.

Pachube makes use of Extended Environments Markup Language (EEML) and an EEML Processing library is available to connect directly to Pachube without needing to know or understand EEML. A basic API will also make it possible to serve and request data in CSV format by HTTP GET/POST.

There is a tutorial available for beginner/intermediate Arduino and Processing users to connect Arduino to Pachube (both as an input and as an output).

Relevant URLs:

briefly, pachube (www.pachube.com) will be a web service for connecting together and sharing real time sensor data from objects, devices and environments around the world; a kind of "youtube" for interactive systems where any project can "plug in" to any other project to create geographically scattered interactive environments.

Cute. :smiley:

Could be interesting to try the Netduino shield out too.

--Phil.

Hey

Fascinating project!

I took part in something similar in 2004 valled "Scrambled Bites".
http://projects.front.bc.ca/2003/scrambled/

It was a similar idea, but more geared towards unique performances and one-time data exchanges. The most interesting aspect of it, by far, was totally unexpected: you had to talk to people via email or phone in order to arrange a data feed. So, contrary to what one would think would happen ( i.e. that it would be a human-free transaction), there was actually an enormous amount of human interaction. I distinctly remember being awake at 3AM doing Skype or MSN with someone in Helsinki who was going to stream some wind data to us... but they couldn't do it all day as they didn't want to leave their computer turned on.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

D

scrambled bites: what a lovely idea for a residency! did they have a follow up event?

they did, not sure what happened after that. It was only a residency for som people- I participated form the States, and other did so from Helsinki, Australia and other places.

D

I'd be interested in this project. I've got a couple of project ideas that can share data to a server. Would be pretty cool. Let me know

hi

I saw some news from Google about Google App Engine, it allows you to create, deploy and manage applications hosted by google, what made me post here is the fact that it has python.
With python serial would it not be possible to talk direct between Arduino and a web page with no intermediate software.

Lee