MAc OSX 10.9.4 - tty.usbmodem Disappeared (Arduino UNO)

Going through StarterKit guide. Mac OSX 10.9.4. tty.usbmodem disappeared from my serial port. I'm on lesson 11, it was there until now. Can't upload anything. Wireless mouse works in both USB ports. Google search yields nothing that helps me, although tons of people seem to have this problem.

Restart did nothing.

Update: Under About Mac --> System Report --> USB --> my iPhone and usb receiver for wireless mouse show up. Arduino powers on, but it doesn't show up. Not sure if this helps or will only make a possible fix more confusing (as it seems to have done in other posts not on these forums).

Thanks for any help.

Did you change or update MAC OS or the Arduino IDE? Or did the USB just quit functioning.
Also please state which MAC type you have (model and year).
Thanks

I did not change anything on Arduino or OS x. The USB functions with other inputs (iPhone, wireless mouse receiver). It also powers on the arduino.

2014 Macbook pro 2.3GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3

MACBOOKs seem to have more issues with USB ports then IMACS.
You are seeing the USB 3.0 Hi-Speed bus?
Just not seeing the communication device under that?
** NOTE the system report image below is with UNO plugged in, BUT IDE is not running.
** Also the power light on UNO only means DC is getting to UNO, you can get same lamp by plugging the UNO in to a USB wall supply.
With that all said check your USB cable (try another if you have one, or try the one for the UNO on something else).

UNO2 USB PORT.jpg

Spicetraders,

Yes I am seeing 3.0 hi-Speed bus.

Just not seeing the arduino (I assume that's the "communication device") under that.

I am going to see if work has another USB cable as I do not have one. Will post tomorrow with the result of that. If it is a USB cable, the arduino/mac caused it because I've never used the packaged USB cable for anything else. Is this a recurring problem of which you know?

HI, I'm actually having a similar problem except I've never been able to get the correct option in the Serial Port menu. I've tried all of the tips I could find in the forums (new USB cord, updating drivers, updating Java, etc.) and nothing seems to work. I checked the system report and it looks like the device shows up but under a different name and it says its not been configured (see attached). Any advice as to whats wrong here? I'm using a early 2011 MacBook Pro and an Uno.

USB.pdf (59.6 KB)

From the post I have read it seems MacBooks are more susceptible to USB hiccups. As to why is hard to decipher as there are so many variables.
But you state that you were using with out issues up to a point. And as you stated you had not changed any system properties. And you are not seeing the communications device when the UNO is connected.
You loaded 11 or was trying to load 11?
You are using an (genuine) UNO R3?

KyleWoolwine:
HI, I'm actually having a similar problem except I've never been able to get the correct option in the Serial Port menu. I've tried all of the tips I could find in the forums (new USB cord, updating drivers, updating Java, etc.) and nothing seems to work. I checked the system report and it looks like the device shows up but under a different name and it says its not been configured (see attached). Any advice as to whats wrong here? I'm using a early 2011 MacBook Pro and an Uno.

Is that a Arduino UNO R3 or a clone UNO
The "not configured" only shows in port current. So you seem to be talking computer to arduino.
Which load/version of IDE are you using?

KyleWoolwine:

Have you read: http://arduino.cc/en/Hacking/DFUProgramming8U2

Just tried now, my Arduino UNO is seen as "Arduino Uno" under "USB keyboard".
But... tell me one thing: problems are started AFTER project 10 or during project 11? Project 10 is a DC-motor exercise, could be the case that you have damaged the board with incorrect wirings? Have you tried the Arduino board on another computer (Mac/PC)? Have you tried another USB port?

@spicetraders , Thanks for the response. I'm pretty sure its a an UNO R3 because it came with the arduino starter kit from this website. I'm using IDE 1.0.6. I wasn't aware the link you posted, thanks. I'm currently trying to see if I can get it to work on a Windows machine to isolate the problem. I will try using the tips from that link when I get home tonight.

Ok, I tried using the UNO R3 on a PC and got a similar problem. It seems like the device can be detected but not talked to. I also tried updating the firmware but when I got to the step "Program the Chip" I received a message in terminal that said "no device present". Is it possible that the board is broken? Also, when I plug the UNO R3 into my computer the green power led comes on but so does a yellow/orange one near pin 13. I think that's the light that is suppose to blink in the example sketch. Is that normal?

UPDATE:
New cord solved the problem. (read on for probably useless details).

This is an Arduino UNO that came with the official starter kit.

My problem started during project 9, I think (it was the first time the tty.usbmodem serial port would not detect, although after restarting Arduino IDE it did work. I never got project 9/10 up and running.). Now on project 11, I am using a new USB cord and everything is working fine and the LCD screen is up and running.

I never used the USB cord for anything else. So it seems that somehow the arduino interacting with project 9/10 may have caused a problem in the cord? Perhaps because of the 9V battery? The strange thing is that the USB cord that came with the Arduino Starter Kit still powers up the arduino, but cannot detect anything.

It seems that this is a fairly common problem, is there a way to make the makers of the Start Kit aware of this? Less motivated people may just give up after such a hiccup!

@KyleWoolwine
Since you have tried loading through another computer with no luck, and I assume tried a new USB cable just to try the simple things first then you may have to try "flashing" the boot loader onto the board through the ISP.
If the web site searches were working proper I am sure you could find more discussions on this. Or Big or Google it.
But a simple search turn up http://www.instructables.com/id/Flashing-bootloader-into-Arduino-UNO-R3/
Maybe not the best info but shows the idea.
If you have access to another UNO the forum has a discussion on using one of those to load the boot loader.
Green LED is 5V the Yellow is derived from pin13 SCK.

bwackv:
UPDATE:
New cord solved the problem. (read on for probably useless details).

That is great!

@Spicetraders, thanks for the advice. I may try that but it seems crazy to me that there should be this much trouble with using a brand new board. I tried emailing support and am hoping they either have a quick fix and explanation or will send me a new one. Like I said before, this is my first time trying to use it and I've only had it for a week or so. If they can't help or your advice doesn't work I may just order another UNO R3 rather than go through the trouble of continuing to troubleshoot this thing. It's only ~$25 for a new one. Thanks again.

Well you can always use more boards, and more other types of Arduino.
It is nice to have a project going on one board while working on something else.