Spray on Batteries

Saw this today
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/06/28/us-science-batteries-paint-idUSBRE85R13L20120628?feedType=RSS&feedName=scienceNews&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+reuters%2FscienceNews+(Reuters+Science+News)

When they were charged, the batteries powered a set of light-emitting diodes for six hours, providing a steady 2.4 volts.

Looks like it will still be a while before we get them but at least they are trying!

"One limitation of the technology is in the use of difficult-to-handle liquid electrolytes and the need for a dry and oxygen-free environment when making the new device."

Sounds like it will be a while.

"The researchers tested the device using nine bathroom tiles coated with the paint and connected to each other. When they were charged, the batteries powered a set of light-emitting diodes for six hours, providing a steady 2.4 volts..

If they were in series that means 0.27V each. :frowning:

"A set" might be 2. They might be running the 'set' at 5 mA. That would make the capacity of those 9 batteries 0.03 mAh (0.003 each).

It's an interesting technology to be sure. However I agree with johnwasser, currently these things are not commerically viable. Still after several years of development they'd probably be very useful in some applications, especially for inexpensive micro sensory and e-textile projects.

Furthermore while it might hamper initial R&D, I don't think the electrolyte handling and oxygen-free requirements will be a big issue to eventual large-scale production. Automated equipment will work just as well in a 100% nitrogen atmosphere (probably the easiest non-oxidizing atmosphere achievable on Earth) as it does in normal air and systems dealing with reactive or sensitive chemicals are nothing new either. Although unless the production requirements change, this technology will probably not be something most hobbiests will be able to play around with at home.

Edit:Fixed typos...

Although unless the production requirements change, this technology will probably not be something most hobbiests will be able to play around with at home.

What? No spray can batteries at WalMart? I feel cheated.

PaulS:
What? No spray can batteries at WalMart? I feel cheated.

Maybe when they start selling gloveboxes (note: not the type that come with an automobile) as well, but probably not before that.