IR Remote Is Infuriating

I have had a couple of projects in mind for ages using IR Remotes, so I keep going back every few months trying to read signals from an IR Remote as an initial proof-of-concept.

Every time I search the internets or the Arduino Forums for information about why I can't get any IR Remote library to work, all I get is a bunch of information about downloaded libraries not compiling because of a name conflict with the IRremote.h file included in IRrecvDemo from the IDE's examples library.

I have downloaded Ken Shirriff's IR Remote library from GitHub (GitHub - Arduino-IRremote/Arduino-IRremote: Infrared remote library for Arduino: send and receive infrared signals with multiple protocols), and changed the names of everything, and it compiles just fine.

I have checked my wiring a million times, and I have tried using two different IR sensors.
One that looks like this:
And one that looks like this:

On top of that I have tried using several remotes from around the house in addition to a media player remote I bought from a hobbyist electronics site.

Does anyone have any fresh ideas on why an IR Remote just plain won't read?

Are those receivers of the correct carrier frequency for the remote? Remotes are usually 38kHz, but receivers are available in a range of frequencies.

The TSOP348xx, for instance, has a range of xx from 30-56kHz carrier frequency. Presumably those receivers you have, have some kind of identifying part number?

There's a bit of leeway, I believe, but I doubt if a 30 or a 56k receiver would work with a 38k remote

Thanks JimboZA for a new angle.

Got some info on my devices here, but it looks like my carrier frequencies match at 38KHz, nitty gritty details to follow:

I got this 38KHz remote from this bargain bin site, but as I mentioned I have tried several others:
http://www.miniinthebox.com/ir-receiver-module-wireless-remote-control-kit-for-arduino-1-x-cr2025_p683872.html
And it came with this 38KHz receiver, the 1838T. the 38 in the part number is for 38K.
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/1838T-Shielded-Infrared-Receiver-Receiving-IR-Head/116008_1162421585.html

I'm also trying with a TSOP38238 I found on Ada Fruit, also 38KHz.

I'll plan on reporting back here tomorrow after I have tried with a different Arduino.