Go Down

Topic: Read Random Temp Sensor (Read 207 times) previous topic - next topic

GeorgeM987

Hi, i'm in the middle of a project involving some waterproof sensors and i'm a bit stuck trying to read these. I've tried all the examples there are in the library as a first quick go, then tried to write my one code to try and read it, as an analog value, but no luck. Let me know if any of you guys used this type of sensor or similar and were successful...

Link:

http://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/p/Alphacool-Eiszapfen-temperature-sensor-Plug-G14-Chrome_61432.html

Thanks,
George M. 

pylon

That's a temperature sensor for a PC water cooling system. I guess it's just a simple thermistor but that's just a guess, I'm not a modder, so I may be wrong. How did you connect that sensor to the Arduino? What library did you try (link)?

Wawa

Two wires.
Must be a simple thermistor.

The only way to know is to measure the resistance of the sensor with a DMM.
I guess it will be 10k@25C, and lower when warmer.
Leo..

GeorgeM987

Hi guys, thanks for leaving your feedback on this...
I've tried pretty much every example from the Arduino library, but with no success...

@Wawa - will try to put the DMM on it... but i'm not sure how the result will help, as i've tried two wires, one wire(with pull-up/without pull-up)... i remember seeing someone doing some kind of temp sensor from a thermistor...(will have to chase that again).
If you guys have any more ideas would gladly test them. Thanks.

//George M.

pylon

I've tried pretty much every example from the Arduino library, but with no success...
Which Arduino library? You still didn't provide a link to that mysterious library!

but i'm not sure how the result will help, as i've tried two wires, one wire(with pull-up/without pull-up).
I guess this is a misunderstanding. Wawa wanted to tell you that you should use the Digital Multi-Meter to measure the resistance of the sensor when different temperatures are applied. You should tell us if you don't understand what we're suggesting.

If it is a thermistor (do this only if you checked with the multimeter as described above!!) and you want to measure with it using an Arduino you must build a voltage divider. That is you connect one wire of the sensor to 5V, the other one to A0 as well as to a 1kΩ resistor. The other end of that resistor goes to GND. Then you don't need a library and you get the result with the AnalogInput example if the IDE (you just get values, not degrees!)

GeorgeM987

Which Arduino library? You still didn't provide a link to that mysterious library!
I'm talking about this library:

C:\Program Files\Arduino\libraries\Arduino-Temperature-Control-Library-master\examples
C:\Program Files\Arduino\libraries\OneWire\examples

I guess this is a misunderstanding. Wawa wanted to tell you that you should use the Digital Multi-Meter to measure the resistance of the sensor when different temperatures are applied. You should tell us if you don't understand what we're suggesting.
...understood the suggestion just fine, did not understand at the time(had a long day) how that will work with the examples in the libraries above... but that's not the case; so will try as you've suggested using the old analogRead() function. Thanks.

//George M.

Wawa

The advice given will depend on the result from the measurement.
So measure the resistance of the sensor (not connected to the Arduino), and post back.
Leo..

pylon

I'm talking about this library:

C:\Program Files\Arduino\libraries\Arduino-Temperature-Control-Library-master\examples
C:\Program Files\Arduino\libraries\OneWire\examples
First: a link is not a path on your local computer! This is a link!

Both libraries handle OneWire devices and your sensor is most probably not such a device, so you can use these examples but you'll probably will never have success.

Do what we suggested (Wawa repeated explicitly), otherwise you may destroy your sensor and your Arduino.

GeorgeM987

First: a link is not a path on your local computer! This is a link!

Both libraries handle OneWire devices and your sensor is most probably not such a device, so you can use these examples but you'll probably will never have success.

Do what we suggested (Wawa repeated explicitly), otherwise you may destroy your sensor and your Arduino.
Thanks for clarifying what's a link ! ;)
So how did you actually wrote "link!" as a hyperlink !? This is empowering...
Almost want to change the thread title around this discussion.

GeorgeM987

The advice given will depend on the result from the measurement.
So measure the resistance of the sensor (not connected to the Arduino), and post back.
Leo..
Thanks, will try this asap.

Regards,
George M.

Go Up