Why does Hex not read out in an array for LED "clock"?

lloyddean:
I suspect your mental model of number representations, arrays and their initialization values may be off.

Your best bet is to explains what you are trying to do and possible why you think it needs to be done some way you got in your head.

My idea is to have a POV device (just really for learning purposes) that will use anywhere from 16-32 LEDs. When dealing with this many, I figured that I'd probably be best to deal (coding) with hex so rather than punching in a 32 bit binary for a single "column", I could simple type in something like 0xFF. I also figured that it would be easier using hex when interacting w/ an external memory (EEPROM) or something of the sort. Mostly I was thinking hex for coding purposes to easily wrap my mind around what's going on.

I didn't realize I'd run into this issue right off the bat. I really don't understand why storing a hex in an array would be such a problem. Am I going about the wrong way displaying the hex data? Does the arduion array not interpret it and sent it out the outputs like it does the raw binary?