Relay question

Greetings... My first post and first decent project I plan to work on...
I have the Arduino Duemilanove and I want to run a relay board with it ( found here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-16-Channel-12V-Relay-Module-Interface-Board-Arduino-PIC-ARM-DSP-PLC-/170745300786?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27c1368732#ht_4312wt_1185 )

My question is, do i need any other hardware or will the Arduino work directly with that relay board. I know my arduino has 113 output pins, but this is a 16 Channel relay board.

Thanks in advance!!

MrKovacic:
Greetings... My first post and first decent project I plan to work on...
I have the Arduino Duemilanove ... I know my arduino has 113 output pins

It does? Most Duemilanoves only have 20.

Since those are 12V relays, you'll need a 12V power supply and a transistor to switch them on.

Sorry.. I'm bouncing keys again.. 13 digital outputs.. . So I can turn the 6 Analog input pins into digital output pins?

Yes.

Keep in mind pins 0 and 1 aren't usable as I/O if you want serial/USB communication.

Good call.. Thank you very much!! This helped me make my decision! :grin:

MrKoviac,

Yes, you can use the "Analog Input" pins as digital I/O.

So you have 14-2(for USB) = 12 plus 6 = 18 Digital I/Os.

Look at the connectors on the board you bought. There are two:

One goes to Arduino: 5V and GND, and the 16 relay signals to the I/Os. This drives only the logic part of the board, not the relay coils.

Second one needs 12V DC to operate the relays.

Other: This board has Optical Isolation (runs through opto-isolator chips). You need to check if the relays operate with a HIGH(1) signal or a LOW(0) signal. Many of this type of relay board operate on a LOW level so that you can guarantee that no relays will activate at power-on time.

There is some example code for this here:
http://arduino-info.wikispaces.com/ArduinoPower (look for "More Complex Systems)

Let us know how this works out for you...

terryking228:
MrKoviac,

Yes, you can use the "Analog Input" pins as digital I/O.

So you have 14-2(for USB) = 12 plus 6 = 18 Digital I/Os.

Look at the connectors on the board you bought. There are two:

One goes to Arduino: 5V and GND, and the 16 relay signals to the I/Os. This drives only the logic part of the board, not the relay coils.

Second one needs 12V DC to operate the relays.

Other: This board has Optical Isolation (runs through opto-isolator chips). You need to check if the relays operate with a HIGH(1) signal or a LOW(0) signal. Many of this type of relay board operate on a LOW level so that you can guarantee that no relays will activate at power-on time.

There is some example code for this here:
http://arduino-info.wikispaces.com/ArduinoPower (look for "More Complex Systems)

Let us know how this works out for you...

Excellent resource!! Thank you very much!! I had to put the project on hold due to a nasty broken hot water pipe behind a wall which required a few walls to be taken out. anyways I am checking out that page now.. Thanks again!!