[SOLVED] Arduino Pro Mini - not FTDI syncing

I can't get my Arduino Pro Mini clone to sync with the FTDI FT232RL clone. I wonder If I do anything fundamentally wrong.

I use Windows Xp
Programming UNO R3 is no problem
The FTDI seemed to have installed well on Xp
I didn't change anything on the Xp settings
The IDE is set correctly to the Pro Mini 5V 328 version
No other things set in the IDE

Pins names are on FTD / Pro Mini

FTDI Ardu Pro Mini
GND BLK
CTS GND
VCC --- VCC
TX --- RX
RX --- TX
DTR GRN

This connection is obvious:
VCC >> VCC
TX >> RX
RX >> TX

I also do:
GND >> GND
DTR >> GRN

CTS I either leave open or put on GND. I tried also switching RX and TX.

Do I do something fundamentally wrong or is there a possibility that something is defect?

==========================
There was a way to test the FTDI USB adapter via the IDEs serial monitor, but can't it. What to do that?

There was a way to test the FTDI USB adapter via the IDEs serial monitor, but can't it. What to do that?

Short TX to RX. Open the Serial Monitor. Every Character you send, should be echo'd back.

Thanks, it didn't work. My FTDI modul is probably defect then. Do I need to have a specific board setting in the IDE? I don't think so, or? As a cross check I did:

Removed the µP from the UNO
Connected the UNO
Short TX + RX
And I got the echo on the Serial Monitor successfully.

Via the UNO I can upload software to the Pro Mini successfully now. However, I had to connect TX-TX and RX-RX. Shouldn't TX connect to a RX?

BTW, I think I connected the FTDI the wrong way round and burned the chip.

flameproof:
Do I need to have a specific board setting in the IDE?

No, not for the loop-back test. Just have to make sure the right port is selected before opening the Serial Monitor.

flameproof:
However, I had to connect TX-TX and RX-RX. Shouldn't TX connect to a RX?

No. You need the TX pin of the Pro Mini to be connected to the same TX pin that was on the Uno, which is the RX pin of the USB to Serial chip.