Arduino Uno with a 32-bit ARM Cortex-M0 in 28 pin DIL package

are you putting all your boards together by hand,

I've only done a few in this life as an EE. Previously I worked for a company that had a production line and in those days there was no SMDs anyway. I had to load 1 maybe 2 prototype boards but after that I got the assembly people to do them.

In this life I'm retired and only do a few boards for myself every year or so. However my current project may get serious and require a lot of boards. I do have an associate in the US that is happy to load boards but I would think after 10 or 20 he'd rather get a life as well.

So if it gets that far I'll have to find an assembling company.

I'm wondering at what volume this becomes economical these days...

A friend of mine in NZ did a run of about 10 large boards with a lot of SMDs. Is was worth getting a local firm to load the SMDs for him and he finished off. I can't remember the prices though.

I have also in the past talked with both US and Chinese companies that sell boards. They are often prepared to make and sell them on a royalty basis. For that matter Sparkfun will do that. But this of course means that they have to buy into you product and you in turn lose a lot of control.

That's not necessarily a bad thing though, in fact to me that would be a good thing, I can think of nothing worse than making and testing 100 boards.

Rob