Arduino and Xbee for Wireless Data Transfer

Hi, I'm new here. I have a university project about the wireless data transfer from a Xbee module to second Xbee module which is connected to the PC. The PC is supposed to get the temperature data from the first Xbee with sensor connected to the Arduino Duelminalove board and Arduino Xbee Shield on top of it.

Do I need another Arduino board for the second Xbee module which is connected to the PC? I will have to programme a window visual view of the temperature shown on the PC screen.

Any recommended website of Arduino Tutorial for Beginners will be welcomed.

Thanks for the help!! :slight_smile:

No, you don't need an Arduino at all.

The sensor can be read by the sending XBee directly. The receiving XBee does not need an Arduino to talk to the PC.

Reply to PaulS:

Really we don't need Arduino at all? I thought we can't program Xbee straight away but need another MC for example Arduino connected through the USART for further programming for example converting the signal from temperature sensor to celcius. Am I right?

I thought we can't program Xbee straight away but need another MC for example Arduino connected through the USART for further programming for example converting the signal from temperature sensor to celcius. Am I right?

Yes, but...

The sensor senses its environment. It produces a voltage that reflects the sensed environment. That voltage is converted to a value by the Arduino or by the XBee. That value still doesn't represent a temperature, for instance. The value needs some further processing. That can be done on an Arduino, and the processed value send over the air to the other XBee which will send it via the serial port to the PC.

Or, you can skip the Arduino, and do the processing on the PC.

Your choice.

Perhaps the resolution will change. The Xbee operates on 3.3 volts and the arduino on 5 volts. So if i read using the arduino and use the Xbee to transmit data serially, won't i get a better resolution than reading a sensor connected to the xbee directly?

Surely resolution is a function of ADC conversion bits and has nothing to do with measured voltage range. 1x10E-10 of 3.3volts has exactly the same resolution as 1x10e-10 of 5 volts
jack