ATMEL Mega1284P evaluation board avalible

stevemarple:
How did you estimate the area needed for the PCB heatsink?

Very unsophisticated.... just used the available space to maximum practical extend.

Apcircuits: 80mm x 100mm - $73.

I think www.internationalcircuits.com will do 10 inch x 10 inch protoboards for $105 or similar.
Site says 10% discount for online orders too. skyjumper has been using them, they did yellow board at my signature link.
Got another board to post there also when I get home.

Regarding this:
"use the proper pin-mapping mechanisms implemented in v1.0"
I haven't looked at whats implemented for 324/644/1284, but I do know I disagree with pin mappings used for 32U4/Leonardo, compatibility with older shields disregarded and didn't need to be. Seems to be easier with the Variants folder now to implement a different mapping, need to look into that more.

Seems to be easier with the Variants folder now to implement a different mapping, need to look into that more.

I will have to figure that one out. It seems one can define everything there is to a custom board and place it in the sketches folder. No need to modify any of the original Arduino distributed file. I sure hope that is how it works.

CrossRoads:
I've been using iteadstudio and buying 10, 20, 50 boards.
5cm x 5cm, $9.90
10cm x 10cm, $24.90

I second Iteadstudio. I've used them twice now and been happy on both occasions. To maximise yield I used more conservative design rules than the 8/8 mil they recommend. Rounded corners and cut-outs are supported.

adilinden:

Seems to be easier with the Variants folder now to implement a different mapping, need to look into that more.

I will have to figure that one out. It seems one can define everything there is to a custom board and place it in the sketches folder. No need to modify any of the original Arduino distributed file. I sure hope that is how it works.

That's the theory. In practice some libraries make assumptions about the pin mapping based on microcontroller type. The SD library has its own pin mapping tables, for the ATmega1284 it assumes the Sanguino pin mapping. :frowning: I've forked the Arduino software on Github to get the my mapping used for the SD library. I've tried to replace this mapping table by the Variants one, but haven't yet succeeded. It seems that the pin mapping tables in Variants are only included when compiling the sketch.ino file, and not when associated libraries are compiled (see the #ifdef ARDUINO_MAIN compiler conditional in the standard pins_arduino.h files).

"The SD library has its own pin mapping tables, for the ATmega1284 it assumes the Sanguino pin mapping. "
So as long as you keep SS, MOSI, MISO,SCK as D10, 11,12,13, there is no problem.

Here's the 1284DIP layout I worked up.

CrossRoads:

I think a lot of people like DIP. At least I noticed that there is a lot of asking for DIP versions whenever there's an interesting chip only in SMD. Personally I prefer SMD for anything with more then 28 pins. The DIP-40 seems a bit unwieldy. But that is just me....

CrossRoads:

This is quite nice! What do you suppose the BOM cost is on this layout? $) $) $)

I was wondering about the DIP, too. Curious why you put the MCU in as a DIP when everything else is SMD?

What is the X3 header for?

Are those totally independent LED's for application use on 22 & 23? If so, that's awesome.

(Sorry for the rainbow, my son is 'helping' me with this post...)

Don't know, wouldn't be bad.
ATMega1284 <$6 at Mouser.
10 boards ~$25 from itead studio
caps, resistors, leds in the pennies each range.
ft232rl $4.50
headers, shop around
power connector, crystal, can be had from dipmicro.com like 30 cents each
regulators are like 65 cents

Put in DIP cause that's the part that usually get smoked! Also folks can do development, programming, pull it out & build into standalone item.
X3 lets FT232 be used to bitbang a bootloader into the part
http://www.geocities.jp/arduino_diecimila/bootloader/index_en.html
Can likely be left off with wide availabilty of AVR programmers such as
http://www.mdfly.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=415

Looks like plenty of room that thruhole parts could be used for many parts instead, make assembly easier.
FTDI chip only available as SMD.
The Rx/Tx LEDs are driven by the FTDI chip, user does not have control there.
I've often thought of just leaving the FTDI chip & part off and gluing a part like this onto the board instead,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-2-0-TTL-UART-6PIN-Module-Serial-Converter-CP2102-/290643946254?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43abbaab0e
(Hey look at that, right from Boston too)
that would lower the cost as well.

CrossRoads:
I've often thought of just leaving the FTDI chip & part off and gluing a part like this onto the board instead,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-2-0-TTL-UART-6PIN-Module-Serial-Converter-CP2102-/290643946254?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43abbaab0e
(Hey look at that, right from Boston too)
that would lower the cost as well.

Wow that's cheap! Yeah, I would leave it off. The normal route is get an FTDI cable or a breakout board from Sparkfun. The thing is, you only need as many FTDI chips as you want to have units connected to the computer at once. Putting them on every board is BOM waste, IMO.

Unexpectedly I did have more time to work on this today. Added a 5x2 header for the IO I had not brought out. Also added a jumper for selection of power source, instead of shottky diode.

CrossRoads:
"The SD library has its own pin mapping tables, for the ATmega1284 it assumes the Sanguino pin mapping. "
So as long as you keep SS, MOSI, MISO,SCK as D10, 11,12,13, there is no problem.

Are you sure? Your Bobuino_directions.doc file states: "And finally download & install the SdFat library
http://code.google.com/p/sdfatlib/downloads/detail?name=sdfatlib20110702.zip&can=2&q=
and use this file C:\Arduino-0022\libraries\SdFat\Sd2PinMap.h". Your Bobuino17.zip file contains a modified Sd2PinMap.h file with a Bobuino-specific mapping. Maybe you've forgotten about these changes?

Actually I made a mistake in my post, I used the '644 initially and the SD library does assume the Sanguino mapping in this case. There's no specific mapping in Sd2PinMap.h for the ATmega1284, it falls back to using the mapping for the ATmega328, ie SPI on D10-D13 (ie PORTB2-PORTB5). The ATmega1284 needs PORTB4-PORTB7.

Either way some modification to SD/utility/Sd2PinMap.h is needed.

Huh! I totally forgot about that.
You're right, I copied the Sanguino portion and redid it for my '1284 usage, and commented '1284 out of the Sanguino part:

#elif defined(__AVR_ATmega1284P__)
// add this if use these other chips
// ||defined(__AVR_ATmega644P__) || defined(__AVR_ATmega324P__)

// ATMEL ATMEGA1284P / BOBUINO
//
// Make it agree with the as-built hardware & pins_arduino.c
//
//                      +---\/---+
//  INT0 (D 4)  PB0  1|        |40  PA0 (AI 0 / D14)
//  INT1 (D 5)  PB1  2|        |39  PA1 (AI 1 / D15)
//  INT2 (D 6)  PB2  3|        |38  PA2 (AI 2 / D16)
//   PWM (D 7)  PB3  4|        |37  PA3 (AI 3 / D17)
//   PWM (D 10) PB4  5|        |36  PA4 (AI 4 / D18)
//  MOSI (D 11) PB5  6|        |35  PA5 (AI 5 / D19)
//  MISO (D 12) PB6  7|        |34  PA6 (AI 6 / D21)
//   SCK (D 13) PB7  8|        |33  PA7 (AI 7 / D22)
//              RST  9|        |32  AREF
//              VCC 10|        |31  GND 
//              GND 11|        |30  AVCC
//            XTAL2 12|        |29  PC7 (D 29)
//            XTAL1 13|        |28  PC6 (D 28)
//  RX0 (D 0)   PD0 14|        |27  PC5 (D 27) TDI
//  TX0 (D 1)   PD1 15|        |26  PC4 (D 26) TDO
//  RX1 (D 2)   PD2 16|        |25  PC3 (D 25) TMS
//  TX1 (D 3)   PD3 17|        |24  PC2 (D 24) TCK
//  PWM (D 30)  PD4 18|        |23  PC1 (D 23) SDA
//  PWM (D 8 )  PD5 19|        |22  PC0 (D 22) SCL
//  PWM (D 9)   PD6 20|        |21  PD7 (D 31) PWM
//                    +--------+
//

and

// SPI port
   uint8_t const SS_PIN =   10;  // physical 5, D 10  SS
   uint8_t const MOSI_PIN = 11;  // physical 6, D 11  MOSI
   uint8_t const MISO_PIN = 12;  // physical 7, D 12  MISO
   uint8_t const SCK_PIN =  13;  // physical 8, D 13  SCK

vs this modified portion for Sanguino, where the D#s for the pins do not follow the Arduino at all

#elif defined(__AVR_ATmega644P__)||\
      defined(__AVR_ATmega644__)
// || defined(__AVR_ATmega1284P__)
// Sanguino

// SPI port
uint8_t const SS_PIN = 4;
uint8_t const MOSI_PIN = 5;
uint8_t const MISO_PIN = 6;
uint8_t const SCK_PIN = 7;

Got my boards... today another version of my 1284p creation arrived. This is version 0.2 without the additional IO pins brought out to a non-standard header.

uino-1284p-v0.2-top.jpg

uino-1284p-v0.2-bottom.jpg

Well, that board just looks great! Let us know how it goes!

'1284 DIP version of Duemilanove with options for USB/Serial interface PCB is ready!
Will take shields, and has 2 hardware serial ports and 12 additional IO (2 more analog/digital, 10 digital) than a '328.
Can have an FTDI Basic/FTDI Cable plugged temporarily plugged on for downloading sketches,
Can have one of these from Mouser put on for permanent use

or none at all, up to the user.
The '1284 pins are broken out per maniacbugs Arduino mod here, select Bobuino as the board type.

Only a couple of surface mount parts - the regulators and the USB polyfuse.
50 boards available if you want some.
Prices shipped to US locations, mailed in letter size envelopes for qtys 1, 2, 3, and small boxes in qty 4 & above due to size & stacked thickness.

1-lot $4.50
2-lot $6.75
3-lot $9.25
5-lot $17.00
10-lot $28.25

International, will have to check.

hi,
nice work and i am also trying to boot load atmega1284p. Can i get the boot loader?

Will post a file when I get homr.