The Amazing Technicolor LED Fur Coat

So, I just finished the writeup for a project I had been working on for about 3 months and since it was Arduino based, I am posting a link to it here:

http://rgbledcoat.blogspot.com/

The controller is an ATMEGA328p loaded with Arduino connnected to 6xTLC5940s and a 595 Shift register.

The code is running a modified version of the TLC5940MUX library to work with the shift register.
Arduino Playground - TLC5940.

It took a lot of work to get any significant program to work as I was bumping into the 2k Ram overhead.

Absolutely fantastic, what reaction did it get at Burning Man?

Absolutely fantastic, what reaction did it get at Burning Man?

I could barely walk 10 feet without being stopped, it went over incredibly well :slight_smile:

Amazing. I may be asking some build questions soon!

WOW, that looks wonderful!

If I were to lead a gang I would certainly be purchasing one of these for myself and each of my fellows.

Good job, well done!

/me

For those in the Seattle Area, I will be at SeaCompression wearing the coat :slight_smile:

hey dustmonkey..

I own a full Master Chief costume from Halo 3. If you've never played Halo, its an exoskeleton suit like the one Iron Man has. Mine is really high quality..it cost me about 1000 dollars

Anyway I'm trying to use Arduino to build a shield system. I don't know if you've ever played Halo 3 but when you get shot the whole guy lights up really bright all over..

I've been trying forever to find LED's at an affordable price that will run on DC power.. otherwise I need to wear a car battery and inverter and thats kindof insane.

How did you power your fur coat??

its awesome by the way

also if I managed to get the shields working would it be weird to wear something like that at that festival you mentioned? like is it mostly just DJs or do people cosplay video games n stuff?

OMFG i kin love the halozozozoz

you need EL wire for the true effect :wink:

hey dustmonkey..

I own a full Master Chief costume from Halo 3. If you've never played Halo, its an exoskeleton suit like the one Iron Man has. Mine is really high quality..it cost me about 1000 dollars

Anyway I'm trying to use Arduino to build a shield system. I don't know if you've ever played Halo 3 but when you get shot the whole guy lights up really bright all over..

I've been trying forever to find LED's at an affordable price that will run on DC power.. otherwise I need to wear a car battery and inverter and thats kindof insane.

How did you power your fur coat??

its awesome by the way

also if I managed to get the shields working would it be weird to wear something like that at that festival you mentioned? like is it mostly just DJs or do people cosplay video games n stuff?

I would reccomend EL-wire for what it sounds like you would like to do as well. And pretty much all LEDs are DC powered :slight_smile:

Sparkfun has an EL-wire sheild which is pretty easy to interface with. That may be a good jumping off point.

I would also say that SeaCompression may not be the right venue for that, but just look up any gaming or geek convention (PAX, Sakuracon, Norwescon, etc....) in the local area and I think it would go over great!

+1 on the EL wire. You could still use the Arduino to control it though.