XY Plotter Arduino vs Processing

First off, thanks for the response and patience with my stupidity.

Sorry if I was unclear but I wanted to ask the general question before I dove into what it was used for and I outlined it partially. I want to use the Arduino to acquire audio data from a microphone (integers, not audio) then use the data stream, scale it, and have the data trigger specific plot points. I know you can talk to Max/MSP, I already have it setup to parse the data but I want to figure out how to route it plot movements and points from Max/MSP. So when I draw a line, the stepper as well will draw line, to receive some type of response, if any, would be greatn. I have looked into maxuino as well and I have a bunch of examples from professors but I can't figure out how to communicate with the steppers using Max/MSP. You can probably do it all within the arduino but I was just curious in general if it were possible. Also, the Processing part was unclear as well since it seems like I stated it backwards but you can have them communicate. Just trying to find out which way would be more efficient to plot points on an xy plotter, Processing/Arduino or Arduino/Max.