5V to 12V output

Hey,
for a project I habe to run a 12V device and have to be able to turn on/off it.
Is it possible to work without an external power source like a battery?
I hope one of you can help me because I have spent a lot of time on searching solutions in the web but couldnt find the right answer!

Thanks,
Marx

this should help you with your question ....
http://bildr.org/2011/03/high-power-control-with-arduino-and-tip120/
with you dont need to vary the intensity then use the same thing just as an on/off switch....
if you dont power the arduino no it wont

If you're just looking for a way to power a 12V device using a 5V battery, I think you're looking for a 5V to 12V step up converter.

No, I want to use my arduino to power a 12V converter which convertes to 220V :smiley: if possible WITHOUT anything like a battery and just need to turn on/off it.

MarxLaum:
No, I want to use my arduino to power a 12V converter which convertes to 220V :smiley: if possible WITHOUT anything like a battery and just need to turn on/off it.

By "use my arduino to power" do you mean using your arduino's regulated power supply, or using the output of one of the arduino's pins to feed into the 12V converter? Is your arduino connected to a battery or a wall source?

I want to use one of the pins and I dont use anything else. arduino 5V--> ?? --> converter from 12v to 220V

MarxLaum:

No way, not possible. The Arduino is great a controlling things, but it's not possible for it to power something like you are asking for.

Lefty

using transistors is also no alternative?
and if I use a 9V battery plus the 5V from arduino, how will I be able to control all of this?

Yes, you'll probably want to look at a high-current mosfet transisitor, like those used to drive motors. You could wire the extra supply to a mosfet's source, and then wire an arduino pin to the mosfet's gate to turn it "on" and "off".

You could try wiring that together yourself, but if you're unfamiliar with soldering custom electronics, I would suggest you look at one of the high-power motor control arduino shields.

MarxLaum:
for a project I habe to run a 12V device and have to be able to turn on/off it.
and
...I want to use my arduino to power a 12V converter which convertes to 220V :smiley: if possible WITHOUT anything like a battery and just need to turn on/off it.

By "turn on/off it" do you want to effect the device on/off, power on/off, as with a switch (e.g. a relay)?

both, the device and the power, should turn on/off