Go Down

Topic: Use Of Forum (Read 693 times) previous topic - next topic

MarkVK

Hi All,

Ive read the how to use the forum post, and its helped me with how to post etc. but i cant find how to search the forum for previous posts.

Now im sure im just being dense here, ive tried the seach box top right, but that just does a general interweb search not the forum....

Also is it possible to view topics that you have posted in? i want to revisit an old topic and it seems silly that i have to trawl through the entire site...

Help appreciated so that i can stop wasting peoples time with stuff thats already been asked!

ballscrewbob

Yes it is slightly (ok lots) confusing.

However that search box at the top DESPITE it bringing you the results via Google is and are a FORUM search results.

You can also use the same qualifiers that you could in any search engine eg "specific inside speech marks" and so on...

Seemingly the forum software was "inherited" so getting it to do a nicer search within the confines of the forum is supposedly not an easy task.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

MarkVK

LMAO! no wonder we get so many repeated questions!

is it possible to look at my historical posts?

The guys on here helped me pick a lab power supply and ive taken delivery and wanted to post pic of my new toys, and thank them. Im struggling to find the post because i cant remember where i posted it or under what title!

Thanks for your kind reply

pert

• Hover the mouse pointer over the circle with your avatar in it at the top right corner of the browser.
  • Click "Profile"
  • Click "Forum Settings > Edit"
  • Click "Show Posts"

MarkVK

Robin2

LMAO! no wonder we get so many repeated questions!
I suspect the presence or absence of  search facility has little or nothing to do with repeat questions. There are a lot of people who have no idea that the word "research" exists.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

MarkVK

I suspect the presence or absence of  search facility has little or nothing to do with repeat questions. There are a lot of people who have no idea that the word "research" exists.

...R
Yes you are probably correct, unfortunately. Im a bit of a youtuber, i do a video blog an various things and use youtube for a lot of research to achieve what i want to do.

Im absolutely astounded that people can be so abusive to contributors. ive seen people make vids that must have taken weeks to do, and the most people can manage to say is "give me code now"

Not "can you tell me where to look for information?" Or "id like ago at this if i write some code would you be willing to help me?"

Im afraid we live in a "i want it now and i want it for free" kind of society ....

Grumpy old man gets off his orange box.....

Robin2

Grumpy old man gets off his orange box.....
Bugger off you old git ... that was my orange box  :)  :)

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

Go Up