Is Arduino Due the right choice for me?

Hey guys noob here! Im thinking of buying an arduino product and dive into the world of electronics, so my question is: How is Arduino Due compared to Arduino uno? Is it a good choice for beginners? I mean it seems to have the same features as uno but better hardware am I wrong?

Also can i use eclipse and java (or java embedded) to program this?

The Arduino Due is a lot like the Arduino Mega256 except faster and 3.3V. I don't think that there is much problem in using it as a beginner except that you can't use all of the 5V shields which are prevalent for Arduinos. You have to use shields and other hardware that supports 3.3V.

You can use Eclipse to develop for the Due but it takes some work. Other people have also used AtmelStudio and command line programs. The Due is itself a cortex 3M based product and that chip is very common and supported. Lots of people have experience with it.

I'm thinking that if you're really new to electronics the Due might be a bit of a pain because of the 3.3V issue. You might want to start with an Uno or MEGA256 or something like that.

hm i haven't considered that 3.3V issue thanks for making this clear I wonder why is that. I also saw that Some shields do not work on the Mega2560 because of SPI pins incompatibility or something so that leaves me with the Arduino Uno option i guess which will do the job, but i was just interested in some more powerful hardware

anyway thanks again

+1 the arduino UNO is a good board for beginning, and if you burn the chip, you just have the chip to replace, wich would be difficult for the DUE, and far more expensive (you should find the UNO chip (Atmega328) for 5$, a bit less than the DUE board price ^^)
The other good thing with the UNO is that this is THE standard prototyping board on the internet, you shouldn't have any problem finding what you wanna learn on it, while the DUE is a bit new. Even if it is compatible, there are some functions on it that are still a bit hard for a beginner, let the community do its job and you will come back later with some great libraries :wink:
For the IDE, my advice would be to start with the arduino one, it is really easy, and when you will master it, you will be able to search for something a bit more complete.
To learn electronics, the most important thing is to understand the basics, and the UNO makes it easy. When you will need a bit more speed or IOs, you will buy the DUE, you will never regret to have started with the UNO, in a big project it is always handy to have some UNO to complete your main board :wink:
Hope it helped :wink:

I would also recommend starting with the Arduino UNO. Do not get me wrong, I love the speed and the memory of the DUE. Appreciate the DAC, etc. However, everything said above is totally true. For a beginner, the UNO should be much more appropriate simply because it is established. Several people above mentioned the hardware compatibility of shields as well as the 5V issue in general. Most likely you will start with some tutorials or examples - mostly they exist for 5V. What is true for the hardware, of course also is true for the software. The number of libraries that are directly applicable for the due increases constantly, but the field is far from being there yet. If you want to begin with the Arduino platform, and do not specifically require a DUE for its spaces, go for an UNO.

The UNO is much more tolerant of mistakes. It is too easy to burn out pins on a Due.
Once you know what you are doing go for the Due but not before.

It's a show-stopper for me. Not that I can't do it electronically but why bother. Adding all the extra hardware to make it work instead of plug-n-play for the most part like the others. Too bad it couldn't be a processor they could choose to run in 3.3v or 5v mode. I think they hurt themselves on this one. I know some overlook the headache because they want they have to have the latest and greatest or have to have the power. But you know they have to get annoyed too at the extra work.

I fell in love with the Arudino for the standard pinouts for the most part, libaries, documentation, etc that made it so easy to get started. I played with the PIC and forever was annoyed at having to constantly dig to get information on libraries, code, and making certain hardware work. That's already done here. I think it left out a large portion of Arduino fans on this one.

Too bad too as I found a good deal on one. Guess I'll keep tinkering with what I have and enjoy it and hope something changes somewhere.

Michael

processor they could choose to run in 3.3v or 5v mode

I am not sure of there are any processors of this sort of power that you can run at the higher voltage. Even 3V3 is getting high for modern devices.