Big EEPROM shield?

mega2560 is not production friendly if trying to fit a permanent design in a small space.

http://www.robotshop.com/eu/asynclabs-flash-shield-for-arduino.html

2meg of storage on this dataflash chip

their is also a few pre written arduino library's written for this chip, so its pretty much plug and play!

russdx:
http://www.robotshop.com/eu/asynclabs-flash-shield-for-arduino.html

2meg of storage on this dataflash chip

their is also a few pre written arduino library's written for this chip, so its pretty much plug and play!

Nice find! :slight_smile: No documents! :stuck_out_tongue:

i couldn't find any documents for it either but the shield JUST has this 8pin dip chip on it which u only need like 3pins LOL, so shouldn't be to hard to work out!

heres a link to a nice library for the dataflash though :slight_smile:
http://diydrones.ning.com/profiles/blogs/ardupilot-mega-sensor-shield-1

hope that helps

Awesome! Thanks! At $1.82 quantity 25 from Digikey, its very affordable. I think I'll order a few extra so I can have spares on hand in case of frying :frowning:

We have a local Arduino vendor in Providence. I actually lost my Arduino that I bought a few months ago. Boy is that frustrating! So I'll go buy a new one along with a breadboard and see if I can make this work.

UPDATE:

I ordered these:

W25Q64BVSFIG-ND
8MB

AT45DB321D-SU-ND
4MByte (32 Mbit)

let us know how u get on interfacing with them :slight_smile:

The Atmel chip originally suggested is now obsolete, and there is a replacement. There is also a 4MByte version, which I ordered to play with. Not bad for $3.87 qty 1. Hopefully I can use the same library, or with just a little modification.

The other chip is 8MByte! Different maker, so probably I'll need to do more codeing but 8MByte would make sure I never run low, and make the end users happier as they can record their samples more frequently. This one is $5.64 qty 1. Getting pricy but I don't sweat the small stuff :wink:

Thanks guys!

Er, maybe not about it being obsolete, but if that was not the one then a similar one was. There are many to choose from though. I ordered plenty of extra chips, I'm good at frying things. I'll post my success (or lack thereof) with these guys.

Thanks again!

nice one might be looking into using these chips my self on my audio project :slight_smile:

I requested samples of the 128K x 8 chips from ATMEL, maybe use those and an Analog Devices DAC to make a nice waveform generator ...

Are they all going to be surface mounts now? Alas.

Yeah I had to order a board to solder the chip to. It has pins I can stick in the bread board. I was not thrilled, since its more work and more risk to damage the chip.

Along those lines, could I use a toaster over as a wave solderer? Whats the best way to solder these chips to these prototype boards?

The 8-pin Serial EEPROMs are available as PDIP - plastic dual inline package - 3/10 wide, pins 0.1 apart.
You can get things like wirewrap socket headers - solder those in (I often just solder the end pins), wirewrap away, plug in the part when ready.

I do my protyping that way - easy to do up quick, easy to make changes. Point to point soldering gets kinda tedious.

Okay, success! Well, at least with the Atmel chip, the AT45DB321D-SU. That's the 32Mbit, 66MHz, SPI flash chip. It's a surface mount chip, so someone helped me solder it to a board that can plug into a breadboard.

I plugged it in and wired it to my Uno per the EEPROM tutorial, although the pinout on the chip is different. It was easy to change, this flash chip has the exact same pins, just in different locations.

I installed the DataFlash library (which, by the way, was written by someone at Atmel), and had some trouble compiling it. There was some header file included twice so I had to comment out one of them. Once I got past that, the example worked perfectly.

Atmel also makes a 64MBit version of this chip, but Digikey does not stock it. For now I'll do my testing and codeing with the 4MBit version. I also bought the larger Winbond chip and it's soldered to a board ready to go. That's going to take more work since there is no library I can find. I'll have to adapt the Atmel library or roll my own.

So far, so good!

great news!

are these chips faster to read and write then a sd card?

I really have no idea, but I'll do a little checking. My guess is yes. The chips come in a variety of speeds. Also, in addition to having an SPI interface, they have paraell interfaces as well, and that's got to be faster, at least for reading (flash probably has a limit to how fast it can write).

I don't really see SD card and a flash chip as a good comparison. My thinking is that:

SD card:

More expensive than flash
Needs to support a file system
Can be removed and put in to another device for reading/writing

Skyjumper, im gonna need to use that 32Mbit chip soon. would you be able to send me your source code to get it working / ur wiring schematics?

i would really appreciate it :), help me out alot

Thanks

PM sent, enjoy!

thank you

really appreciate it :slight_smile: