Binary sketch size: 3338 bytes (of a 32256 byte maximum) and other errors

I just got my Arduino 328 ATMEGA in the mail today, and was experimenting with some code and already ran into some issues. I am attempting to try out this short tutorial from the website: http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/Tone. When I compile the code I get the following error message: Binary sketch size: 3338 bytes (of a 32256 byte maximum). When I attempt to upload the code to the board I get this error message:
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x30
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

I have been searching the forums and have found similar errors but I cant figure out what is the real solution. There are so many posts about different things and I cant figure it out on my own what the right solution is. I've been seeing a lot of things about editing HEX files and other things, and attempted editing somethings but I'm not sure what I'm doing. If I have to edit any files please let me know how to do it step by step. All help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
David

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x30
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

This error simply means that the arduino IDE can't link up with the attached board's bootloader program. The reason you see so many posts and possible 'fixes' is that there are so many things it can be, hardware, software, or operator error in the IDE.

So for basics, what model board are you using? What board do you select in the IDE before uploading. What comm port are you selecting in the IDE? Does the PC see the USB connection being made when you first plug in the board?

Lefty

I am using the Arduino Uno, ATmega 328 with 16MHz clock. The port is COM3, and i select the Arduino Uno board before uploading. The computer makes the usual sound when i connect the board, but it doesn't recognize it. I cant find anything under the "Computer" section in my documents other than the C drive. If it helps, I am using Windows 7 OS.

Thanks

The computer makes the usual sound when i connect the board, but it doesn't recognize it. I cant find anything under the "Computer" section in my documents other than the C drive. If it helps, I am using Windows 7 OS.

Can't help in details as I don't have a Uno board (it uses a different USB driver) nor windows 7 (still on XP). However until you resolve that error you will not be able to upload to the board. The Arduino IDE and the Arduino board both require a functioning USB serial link to function. I'm sure others will give you some checks or tests to try.

Lefty

@dedshaw1612

Do you have a USB driver for your Arduino board ? Check under "Device Manager & Ports" when your board is connected. a port number will be there and select that port number when using the IDE and the type of board you are using.

I found out i didnt have a driver for this, and solved my problem at the following link:

everything is fixed, and connected the port through COM4. Thanks for your help!! that strange Binary sketch size thing still shows up but the speaker played the tune so it works good enough for me.

that strange Binary sketch size thing still shows up but the speaker played the tune so it works good enough for me.

"Binary sketch size: 3338 bytes (of a 32256 byte maximum)." That message is proper, it's saying the compiler successfully compiled your sketch and it will take up 3338 bytes of flash memory in the arduino AVR's flash memory when it's uploaded. The 32256 is the size limit for programs for the AVR mega328p chip as used in the arduino board.

Lefty