Attiny projects?

Now I get this error lol:
error at {arduino root}<mark>arduino-0022\arduino-0022\hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf:320 unrecognized character: "a"

I assume there is only one "arduino-0022" in the path.

I have emailed you a ZIP file and sent you a link to the same ZIP file via Personal Message. There are two subdirectories in the ZIP file. Try the configuration file in the "1" directory first. If that does not work, try the configuration file in the "2" directory.

is it possible this is caused by using the uno as an isp(the verification error, not the avrdude.conf errors)?

It is possible. But, there are people who have successfully used an Arduino as an ISP. In fact, most AVR programmers are implemented using an AVR processor.

So, the wiring, the RESET, the breadboard (the external hardware) are more likely to be the culprit.

Would it be worth my time to buy the pololu?

I'm a big fan of the Pololu programmer. It has worked almost flawlessly so far. Adding male pins has made it very handy to use with a breadboard.

Or do I need to fgure out this error before deciding?

That's the route I would take but I would also place a time limit on the effort.

since then I have not been able to upload via the ide

How very strange. My route has been the opposite. I had all sorts of trouble getting the IDE to upload and now that's the only method I use. I wonder if I've left somthing out of the core...