Can the Arduino do this ?

Gooday,
I am a newbie to micros, being an old cmos/ttl dinosaur.
I have ordered my first Arduino, but there is going to be a lot of learning to do, and I don't really know if my long term project will be possible, thats where I could do with some advice. ( I don't expect this to be my first project ! I will be starting with the flashing LED etc )

My goal is to have 6 outputs of the micro sequentially feeding a demux chip, to switch 64 bcd switches.
The 4 binary outputs from each switch ( plus one other spst switch ) to be diode fed back to 5 inputs of the micro.
I want the micro to then send this data via a wireless modem.
Preferably there should be a handshake, and then it will move on to the next of the 64 switches, and so on.

There will have to be some other minor data such as an address ( software programmed ) for the receiving device ID, and a couple of realtime push buttons to transmit before the sequential data.

The receiving side ( with a matching software programmed address ) would handle the handshaking, address checking, and convert the bcd from the switches into 8 serial bits representing 7 segment display ( displaying the number on the switch ) plus the spst switch status, and pass the data stream along to a series of 595 latches to feed the 7 seg displays. ( plus the spst switch status )

The receiving micro would have to generate the clock and a latch pulse at the end of the last switch data.

My existing dinosaur system runs at only 5 Khz transmission, so hopefully I can speed it up a bit with the micro?

Do-able with Arduinos ?

John

My existing dinosaur system runs at only 5 Khz transmission, so hopefully I can speed it up a bit with the micro?

Do-able with Arduinos ?

Unfortunately the English language is poor in trying to explain your exact requirements. I'm sure the Arduino can handle the task and at much higher speed if desired. It's just a matter if your Arduino board having has enough I/O pins or not.

Perhaps even a crude block diagram drawing would help explain your application better.

Lefty

As far as I understand the project there are TWO controllers involved, the BCD reader and the 7-segment-display writer.

Both tasks can of course be handled by Arduinos, and - to repeat RC's question - why should this happen - say - more than 20 times a second??

Another question: How many displays will be involved?

Another remark: Polling 64 switches takes a lot of wiring, you will better arrange this in matrix the addressing of which will best be done via PISOs/SIPOs as well.

Thanks Guys for the comments

The switches all have diodes on them, so there are 4 wires that run through the top of all the switches, and each has a wire from the demultiplexer, and the slow speed I mentioned is the time it takes for all the displays to update.
At the moment I only have 32 switches max, so for 64 it would take 3 or 4 seconds ( and there are not enough address pins on the chips I am using now for 64 switches )

There are not always 64 switches and displays, that is the maximum that I want the system to be able to handle.

Generally the transmitter only operates when an update button is pressed, as all the displays are latched. At present I switch the power ( battery ) on only when the update button is pressed, I don't know how fast the Arduino boots up, but I could fit an on/off switch if required.
I will attach a sketch if I can figure out how

John

Hi Richard,

Yes you have it correct.

The system at the moment is using the old Holtek HT12 pair, so its really slow.

When I said wireless modem, I mean any suitable radio link, I am using the Radiometrix 433Mhz simplex modules at the moment, and get about 300m range. ( open ground and a small antenna each end.)
I rely on the Holteks system of checking the data 3 times , but a handshake system would be better.

The transmitter is hand held and battery powered, a 9v PP3 lasts a year or 2.
Is there a sleep mode on the Arduino or similar?

The display end is generally mains powered, so that can stay on.

John

Its for sports scoreboards, so the remote might be stuck on a shelf for weeks, or between seasons.

I can fit an on off switch if needed, I didn't on the existing one in case people forget to switch it off.

I could also fit a tilt switch and timer as they always pick up the remote to operate it.

John

If the use is for scoreboards... then you could set a timer... then you would only have to worry to turn it on... off is a matter o time(r)!
probably you could even get the battery stat to make sure you won't get stuck in a middle of a game!