Wiring arduino pro mini 5v to usb breakout

Hey folks I'm very new to this world and working on my first project. I need a small board so I'm using an Arduino Pro Mini 5v [1]. There's no usb interface on the board so I also got a couple different USB breakout boards for micro [2] and mini [3] but I'm having trouble figuring out how to wire the arduino to either one. I've seen some breakout boards where the pin names are the same (tx, rx, etc) and the two breakout boards i got don't have any GRN or BLK indicator that i've been able to find. Did I get the wrong breakouts? If not can any help me match up the leads on the boards? I would think they should line up some way like:

testtest2

Arduino Pro Mini Micro Breakout Mini Breakout
BLK VCC VCC
GND D- D-
VCC D+ D+
RXI ID GND
TXD GND -
GRN - -

I don't see how both board could possibly line up directly with the arduino since they have GND in different locations relative to the arduino board but what do I know? I tried something like this:

VCC -> VCC
RXI -> D+
TXD -> D-
GND -> GND

I got the light to come on the board when i connected it to the computer but I couldn't get the software to talk to it even after I installed the FTDI drivers. I haven't soldered anything yet so maybe my jury rigged connections weren't clean enough to talk to the board. I'll happily solder the wires on once I know where to connect things but I want to make sure I don't kill my board by connecting things wrong. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

1. https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9218
  2. SparkFun microB USB Breakout - BOB-12035 - SparkFun Electronics
  3. SparkFun USB Mini-B Breakout - BOB-09966 - SparkFun Electronics

You need a USB to serial converter cable or board - those breakouts aren't changing it from USB. Something like SparkFun USB to Serial Breakout - FT232RL - BOB-12731 - SparkFun Electronics. USB signalling is complex as its designed to support every possible external device from scanners to disks to microscopes. A USB->seriall converter chip does all the complicated stuff needed to provide a simple UART serial interface.

Thanks! Looks like some more shopping is in order.