Go Down

Topic: Adafruit Motorshield Stacking (Read 388 times) previous topic - next topic

ScipioCaesar

Hello!

We are trying to stack two motorshields onto our Arduino Due, however, upon our research, we found this:

What Arduinos is this shield compatible with?

For use with the Due or other 3.3v processors, you must configure the board for 3.3v logic levels. Find the set of 3 pads labeled "Logic". Cut the small trace between the center pad and 5v and add a jumper from 3.3v to the center.
As of Arduino 1.5.6-r2 BETA, there is a bug in the Due Wire library that prevents multiple Motor Shields from working properly!
Which brings us to two questions?

One, is there a modification to the Wire library that will render this compatible?

The stacking I mean. We really need two motorshields to control our two steppers. It would be a pain to switch out a stepper at this point.

Second, what would be the proper way to cut the small trace between the logic pads, and create the jumper cable between 0 and 3.3 V logic pad?

MorganS

Arduino 1.5.6 is quite old now. Several years old, I expect. What version are you using now? Have you checked the GitHub bug tracker for this specific bug to find out which version fixed it?

Cutting a trace on a PCB is more difficult than you expect. Just get a sharp tool like a knife or pointy scissors and gouge away at the track until you can see exposed copper on both sides of the cut and no copper in the middle. Making the new trace will require a soldering iron. Do you have access to one?
"The problem is in the code you didn't post."

ScipioCaesar

We are currently running Arduino 1.6.1 because every time we ran it in the latest version (1.8.1) we kept getting an Arm-compiler error (g++ library does not exist), which wasn't fixed after répéated installations.

We do have access to soldering equipment, so that is not a problem. I'll try to look at github to see if there are any fixes. Thanks.

ScipioCaesar

Arduino 1.5.6 is quite old now. Several years old, I expect. What version are you using now? Have you checked the GitHub bug tracker for this specific bug to find out which version fixed it?

Cutting a trace on a PCB is more difficult than you expect. Just get a sharp tool like a knife or pointy scissors and gouge away at the track until you can see exposed copper on both sides of the cut and no copper in the middle. Making the new trace will require a soldering iron. Do you have access to one?
Also, are soldering a new trace or is the solder the trace itself? As in, what are we soldering between the pads or is the lead solder a decent connection in and of itself.

Thank you again

MorganS

If you have access to soldering equipment but you're asking such basic questions then I am afraid you might burn yourself. Get some practical advice on how do do it. An internet forum can't teach you how to solder.
"The problem is in the code you didn't post."

ScipioCaesar

I know how to solder. I just wanted to clarify that soldering the two logic pads together was the correct course of action.

Go Up