Bipolar stepper motor and Arduino R3 Motor Shield

Hi, on Arduino Playground I read about how to make the shield work better with stepper motors by modifying it. It recommends connecting E22-E2 and E12-E1 on the connection strip steppers using jumpers. Can anyone explain this, as I am unable to understand what is E22 etc? Is E22 digital 22 on the Arduino 2560 Mega?

Also, what are the connection strip steppers? It also recommends removing IC2, how do I do this?
I am just beginning to learn about Arduino, but have managed to upload some sketches and got the stepper motor to turn.
Thanks for any advice.

I am trying to build an electronic focuser for a telescope. The software will not get the stepper to turn, although it seems to be connecting. There is a Yahoo group-SGL Observatory where this is discussed.

David

on Arduino Playground

Where, it is a big place?
Link please.

Motor Control Shield v3.0 - The missing manual-I don't know how to post a link, but this is the title-here is the part I was talking about.

David

Using the Arduino stepper library in 4-pin mode can be achieved the following way:
Install jumpers or wire bridges (vertically) on the connection strip STEPPERS, connecting E22-E2 and E12-E1 . This connects IC3's inputs 1A and 4A with the pins E1/E2 (Arduino pins 8 and 9).
Remove IC2
Bridge IC2 pins 4 and 12, connecting DIRA/Arduino 12 with IC3 2A
Bridge IC2 pins 6 and 9, connecting DIRB/Arduino 13 with IC3 3A
Set PWMA and PWMB to HIGH

-I don't know how to post a link

Copy and paste.

If you want it to look good the select the URL of the link and hit the icon third from the left on the bottom row.

Here's the link. Or Arduino Playground - 0

I'm researching exactly this right now. I'm not able to make complete sense out of the author's directions either. I have the Arduino MotorShieldR3 as well as a Rugged Circuits Rugged Motor Shield. I've got a couple control projects I'm working on and in both of them, the servo gets HOT.

I'm wondering if on the arduino motor shield, I could simply cut the brake jumpers on the back of the board...? I'll try that later and report back.

Chris