Picture

Had question as to anyone would know whether this would be possible to do with the ardunio Mega.

I want to be able to interface with a camera, send a signal to snap a picture, and then store that picture in a external memory chip.

Thanks

when you say store the picture, are you intending on having the Arduino handle the data or the camera?

That can be a lot of data depending on the camera resolution.

Depends on the camera. Problem is, the arduino has very little RAM, and images are generally orders of magnitude too big for it, so you need to be able to pull the image in chunks and push them to an SD card - some cameras allow this. Also, you'll be reading the image on the serial port, which is slow - it'll take a long time for each image, where a 'long' time may be measured in minutes.

Both, take the picture and then store the data in an EPROM chip somewhere.

I want to be able to interface with a camera

Some specific camera?

then store the data in an EPROM chip somewhere.

For what purpose? You'd need to load a different sketch then to read the data back out of EEPROM (and you'd need a big EEPROM).

Do you need the Arduino to do anything with the camera data, or just store it? If you don't need to do any image manipulation then it will be orders of magnitude less complicated to have an Arduino control an existing camera.

You could use something like an 808 camera (808 Car Keys Micro Camera Review - Version #11) -- have the Arduino turn power on & off, and take the picture, with a couple of optoisolators.

Chris

Thank you, all i really need is to be able to take a snap shot using atrigger.

What do you mean fundamental concept?

John

Can we have a sticky topic about cameras?

budder8818:
Thank you, all i really need is to be able to take a snap shot using atrigger.

So, given that any digital camera will already store the snapshot image to an SD card for you, do you need anything more than having the Arduino tell the camera when to take shots?