Million-and-one noob q:s about Programmers, Programs, Programming and Pragmatism

Pedro147:
This isn't Facebook ]:slight_smile:
Yet despite this you are still offered help and advice so to continue in this vain have a look at this
Freematics Arduino Builder download | SourceForge.net

Granted :blush:
Thanks for the tip with Code Blocks, The AVRISP MkII is expensive as all hell (like 70 bucks, yeah I don't live in a tax haven precisely..) so I was considering the Pocket AVR Programmer from Sparkfun, but that seems to be limited to 5V-stuff, I'm interested in the 3.3V Pro cause I can use a Li-Po with that one :frowning:
I have no hardware at all at this point, I'm just speculating. So I'm open for suggestions! :open_mouth:

westfw:
there's the Arduino web site "reference page", and all the source code is buried somewhere in the in the code you downloaded (and also on github, if that's easier.)

Cheers, might prove useful.

westfw:
The Butterfly was one of the first Atmel Dev boards to have/support a bootloader, BTW. I'm surprised you didn't become familiar with the concept when you were working with it. The concept and code (for butterfly) was described in Atmel App Note AVR109 (the Arduino bootloader is somewhat different.)

This was my first experience with microcontrollers, for some labs in a realtime systems course at university, so I basically just concentrated on the assignments, the AVRISP worked just fine :cold_sweat: Could've sworn I've seen this document before though... :blush:

westfw:
Atmel Studio 5 was about 2.6GB of code (for windows.) (I should try that again with 6.1...) Arduino is about 350MB; they use basically the same C/C++ compiler (avr-gcc) (AS has a newer version.)
( http://www.avrfreaks.net/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=116011&start=all&postdays=0&postorder=asc )

If you read what I said just above this, with my considerations to batteries and voltage and AVRISP vs Pocket AVR Programmer (like, USBtinyISP or something-rather whatever it was called? Open source stuff), can you give me some suggestions on a good setup..? I've heard that you can get Sparkfun's Pocket AVR Programmer working with Atmel Studio, which is what I'd rather use as far as IDE's are concerned.. But then again, that's designed for 5V, whereas the AVRISP is dynamic in that respect.

Anyways, thanks for the support!