Soldering mistake...

A solder sucker to suck it up or solder braid to soak it up.

Pick up some soldering wick and a cheap desoldering pump. Very useful tools to have on hand, and the wick allows hand soldering ever fine pitch smd chips.

The above are examples, you can undoubtably find cheaper versions

Blow through the hole while solder is molten, usually works.

I assume those remove the excess metal used to solder... but I have neither. Any other solutions?

nate890:
I assume those remove the excess metal used to solder... but I have neither. Any other solutions?

Yes, buy one or both of the rather cheap tools mentioned. Basic tools are nescessary for pursuing electronics and wick and desoldering pumps are among those basic tools needed.

bobthebanana:

Never tried it, but would add the suggestion that you blow the molten hot metal in a direction where it will cause no harm...

If you have neither then blow through the hole as suggested. You should invest in those other tools, though.

Blowing through the hole sounds like a bad idea. Who knows where some hot bits will splash to.

Foolios:
Blowing through the hole sounds like a bad idea. Who knows where some hot bits will splash to.

Absolutely, don't do this if you value your eyes. Once blew out a candle from too close - hot wax in the eyes, I learnt my lesson.

Blowing through it didn't seem to work

Ahah! got it with a sowing pin! thanks all

I was going to say that inserting a wooden toothpick while the solder is molten also works.

Another non-orthodox solution is to melt the solder and quickly bang you board aganst an ashtray or something else with care. Solder will come off.

My personal trick is to heat the part and pull out the wire or pin and then re-heat it slightly and just bang it against my leg... soft enough to not hurt anything and just hard enough to create a little mechanical shock to dislodge the solder. I can Pull 20 pins out of a (.6mm pins) PC board and have holes clean enough to put another pin strip in place in 10 15 minutes. The Hot solder is cool enough not to do any damage to my pants either. I di wear Denim all the time though and the solder remnants will flick off easily without damaging the material (or I have been exceedingly lucky for 30+ years. When I worked for a living I frequently use that method as I didn't have to wait for the desoldering tool to heat up and it is a lot easier to clean a few solder spots from my pants than it is to clean the desoldering machine... I don't have to take a hot pair of pants apart and deal with that rather toxic combination of lead and tin oxides that always forms as a dust in the iron. Also don't have to worry about burns either as I don't wear hot pants...

Doc

wanderson:

bobthebanana:

Never tried it, but would add the suggestion that you blow the molten hot metal in a direction where it will cause no harm...

I hate to say this but I have done this. I don't really recommend it, there can be some backspray... :slight_smile:

I found blowing through it didn't work much at all... The solder dried before it would even be able to come out.

nate890:
I found blowing through it didn't work much at all... The solder dried before it would even be able to come out.

It worked for me, but it was only a "film" over the hole, not a "glop" since I had first cleaned it up with a wick, it just didn't remove the last 1% for some reason. Anyway, I don't recommend it!! I've since bought a pump too...

Yeah, I've actually ordered this very cheap pump off of ebay to see how it goes (http://www.ebay.com/itm/221052532667?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649)

Desoldering wick is just braided copper with flux in it. It is really cheap and everyone should have some - but if you're stuck somewhere without it, you can approximate it with stranded copper wire.

Fan out the strands a little, let the solder wick into them, and then repeat until the solder is gone. If you have liquid / gel flux, dip the strands in that first to make life easier.

bibre:
Another non-orthodox solution is to melt the solder and quickly bang you board aganst an ashtray ...

I do still have 1 or 2 of those around ... someplace. Used to have them deployed in at least 3 rooms.

Docedison:
Also don't have to worry about burns either as I don't wear hot pants...

Thanks for the visual, Doc. :astonished: