Dad's Lab management

This is how he keeps some of his resistors

there's a cap somewhere in the fumble, i think a cockroach may also be there :grin:

Looks like a good selection of values there, and its good for us old farts to excercise our eyesight now and again :slight_smile:

Looks like a good selection of values there, and its good for us old farts to excercise our eyesight now and again :slight_smile:

:stuck_out_tongue: :slight_smile: 8)
He says its easy in this way for a experienced eye to fastly get resistors of any values from the bunch

After 50 years of using resisitors, I have to struggle to remember the colour code if I am asked, but I could just look at the resistor and know ts value - but that was before they moved to 1% and started adding another band !!!

but that was before they moved to 1% and started adding another band !!!

The same happens with dad nowadays!

Here's another thing dad gave me a very old WireBound resistance he calls, haven't seen this before he showed me, he grabbed one of these almost a Decade ago!

We used to carry round similar " droppers" in our tool box when fixing TVs in the 60s !
All the heaters ( filaments ) of the valves ( tubes) were wired in series and run from the mains supply, and the dropper dropped the extra voltage - all the TV valves ( tubes) had the same current heaters - 300mA.

And now I am bulding stuff with a 3 volt supply !!!

We used to carry round similar " droppers" in our tool box when fixing TVs in the 60s !

That's great my dad used to first Fix Radio's + High grade premium watches like RADO/SWISS and then with additional learning and experience he started repairing and finally Making complete TV sets, this is the talk from 70's to 90's in India.