Controlling Arduino IDE remotely

Hello!

I'd like to put an alternative GUI on top of the Arduino IDE - what would be the most straight forward approach? My first idea was to use some sort of messages to instruct compiling/uploading like UDP OSC messages. Is there anything like that implemented? Main functionality I need:
_uploading
_adding code
_removing code
+selecting board and COM port

Is there something like a command line version which I could easily integrate in my project?
Thank you

Hi,

I'd love to be able to command line control the IDE so I can use Notepad++ to not only edit my source but to compile/upload.

Please Arduino.cc...............make this happen!

Ian.

use makefiles to bypass the IDE completely, e.g. check - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,88989.0.html - or google ...

Hi all,

Workaround:-

Use UltraEdit as your editor.
Create a custom toolbar button to run the following VBS script. You can assign a suitable .BMP as the button graphic, I used the Arduino logo.

Set objShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
objShell.AppActivate "Arduino 1.0"
objShell.SendKeys "^u"

So, you open the IDE and load the main .PDE/.INO and thats the last you'll touch it.
From now on as you edit via UltraEdit you can simply press the custom button and it will control the IDE.

Ian.

Updated:

'Arduino compile/upload script

Dim AllProcess
Dim Process
Dim strFoundProcess
strFoundProcess = False
Set AllProcess = getobject("winmgmts:") 'create object
For Each Process In AllProcess.InstancesOf("Win32_process") 'Get all the processes running in your PC
If (Instr (Ucase(Process.Name),"JAVAW.EXE") = 1) Then 'Made all uppercase to remove ambiguity. Arduino IDE runs as JAVAW.EXE

'Arduino app is running
objShell.AppActivate "Arduino 1.0" 'Arduino IDE Ver 1.0
'objShell.AppActivate "Arduino 0022" 'Arduino IDE Ver 0022 
objShell.SendKeys "^u" 'Send CTRL U key to initiate compile/upload

strFoundProcess = True
Exit for
End If
Next
If strFoundProcess = False Then

msgbox "The Arduino IDE is not open with your sketch!"

End If
Set AllProcess = nothing

Thanks for this! Makes Life easier

... couldn't it be modified to open the "serial monitor" automatic?
I have no clue what you programmed in VBS :wink:

Hi,

I'm new to Arduino and would like to use UltraEdit Studio since it is my favorite editor. Now, I have come so far that I've created an "Arduino button" in UES with the desired VBS code to it. What I don't really understand is that I should load the main PDE/INO file in the IDE. I've searched for that file in the Arduino folders but could not find any.
I think the connection from UES to Arduino IDE is working ok, but I get this message inte the Arduino IDE.

core.a(main.cpp.o): In function main':*__</strong></em> <em><strong>__* C:\Program Files (x86)\arduino-1.0.3\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino/main.cpp:11: undefined reference to setup'
* C:\Program Files (x86)\arduino-1.0.3\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino/main.cpp:14: undefined reference to `loop'*

I guess it tells me that I'm missing the main.* So how do I proceed ??

Help anyone ?!? 8)

I guess it tells me that I'm missing the main.* So how do I proceed ??

Show us your code.

Same problem here :frowning:

core.a(main.cpp.o): In function main': C:\Arduino\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino/main.cpp:11: undefined reference to setup'
C:\Arduino\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino/main.cpp:14: undefined reference to `loop'

'Arduino compile/upload script

Dim AllProcess
Dim Process
Dim strFoundProcess
strFoundProcess = False
Set AllProcess = getobject("winmgmts:") 'create object
For Each Process In AllProcess.InstancesOf("Win32_process") 'Get all the processes running in your PC
If (Instr (Ucase(Process.Name),"JAVAW.EXE") = 1) Then 'Made all uppercase to remove ambiguity. Arduino IDE runs as JAVAW.EXE

'Arduino app is running
objShell.AppActivate "Arduino 1.0.2" 'Arduino IDE Ver 1.0
'objShell.AppActivate "Arduino 0022" 'Arduino IDE Ver 0022 
objShell.SendKeys "^u" 'Send CTRL U key to initiate compile/upload

strFoundProcess = True
Exit for
End If
Next
If strFoundProcess = False Then

msgbox "The Arduino IDE is not open with your sketch!"

End If
Set AllProcess = nothing

And how to get rid of that success alert?