Go Down

Topic: IDE 1.8.0 Released -- update: 1.8.5 (Read 65740 times) previous topic - next topic

pert

https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Donate    page is not working. Even the link "Contribute&Download".
Works for me. If you click on the "Just Download" link it should start the download but it won't open any other page. Which version are you attempting to download.

thomasherbig

This is a newbie question.

I just downloaded IDE 1.8.5 on my Mac (10.12.6) for the first time. However, the app will not start properly.

The splash screen appears as expected, but then the app disappears without a trace. The command line shows the following error:

Applications > Arduino.app/Contents/MacOS/Arduino 
java.lang.NullPointerException
   at sun.font.FontDesignMetrics.getDefaultFrc(FontDesignMetrics.java:157)
   at sun.font.FontDesignMetrics.getMetrics(FontDesignMetrics.java:278)
   at sun.java2d.SunGraphics2D.getFontMetrics(SunGraphics2D.java:855)
   at cc.arduino.view.SplashScreenHelper.drawText(SplashScreenHelper.java:93)
   at cc.arduino.view.SplashScreenHelper.splashText(SplashScreenHelper.java:78)
   at processing.app.Base.<init>(Base.java:235)
   at processing.app.Base.main(Base.java:144)

I have the newest Java:

Applications > java -version
java version "9.0.1"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 9.0.1+11)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 9.0.1+11, mixed mode)

I have been unsuccessful finding a solution to this elsewhere. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

thomasherbig

Well, the problem fixed itself. How, I don't know as I didn't do anything further after my post. No automated OS updates, either. It continued to not work for about a day, but then decided that it should run, after all.

I'm happy and a little uneasy at the same time.

Tom

Alvgon

Nov 07, 2017, 11:17 pm Last Edit: Nov 07, 2017, 11:33 pm by Alvgon
I'm also a newbie with Arduino IDE, but had an anoying problem.

I have v1.8.5 instaled and it works flawlessly except in a very small part, i.e.

lcd.setCursor(14,1);               // this sentence doesn't work correctly with any type of LCD I've tested

lcd.setCursor(14, 1);              // this one works perfectly

The problem is the compiler and/or verifier does not detect any type of problem in the first case, but ONE doesn't do what it should.

BTW, this problem is the same in every other sentence that has comma sepparated parameters.

Took me quite some time to pinpoint this problem; and I'm very sure I'm not the only one to suffer it.

Couldn't it be added a check for that damn space after every comma ?

TIA

funrun27

Arduino IDE for Chromebooks:  The latest thread I've found is summer 2016.  Any progress?  Can it be done yet?

pert

There is now a Chrome app for the Arduino Web Editor. You have to pay $0.99/month for it:
https://blog.arduino.cc/2017/07/17/arduino-create-comes-to-chrome-os-devices/

graham641

I have originally been working with UNO Arduino smd edition. Blink has always run correctly. Recently I have been working with DFRobot Mega 2560. I have reselected the device to run on uno. I use port 8 which is selected for. When I try to download the blink program I recieve an error message that I am running the mega2560  even though the software agrees that I am running the UNO.I have disconnected the uno and reconnected it. No change.

pert

I have originally been working with UNO Arduino smd edition. Blink has always run correctly. Recently I have been working with DFRobot Mega 2560. I have reselected the device to run on uno. I use port 8 which is selected for. When I try to download the blink program I recieve an error message that I am running the mega2560  even though the software agrees that I am running the UNO.I have disconnected the uno and reconnected it. No change.
  • Start your own thread. Your problem has nothing to do with this topic so you're not doing any favors to yourself or us by posting here.
  • In that thread, post the full verbose output of the failed upload USING CODE TAGS (</> button on the toolbar).

Go Up